A yob spat at police officers after being arrested when he was found with blood on him - apparently from "playfighting" - a court has heard.

Officers were called to reports of an assault on Duxbury Drive, Bury, in the early hours of June 29 this year.

There they found Curtis Lee Taylor, aged 29 of Seddon Avenue, Radcliffe, apparently in the aftermath of a fight, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

William Staunton, prosecuting, said: “The defendant appeared to be intoxicated, he had blood on him but no visible injuries.”

He added: “The defendant maintained he had been playfighting."

Mr Staunton told the court how Taylor, who appeared on a link from HMP Forest Bank, started to verbally abuse the officers as they were driving him away and they arrested him when he threatened to go back to the house on Duxbury Drive.

He then refused to get out of the police car, started "screaming and shouting" and at one point told the officers “I will stab you, I will stab you in the head".

Taylor then spat at the officers, hitting one on the arm.

Describing the officer’s feelings, Mr Staunton said: “He later described being angry that someone could do this to a person and that he was dedicated to public service.”

Taylor pleaded guilty to common assault on an emergency worker on July 13.

Michael Lea, defending, argued that Taylor deserved credit for pleading guilty at the first possible opportunity and that he had shown real remorse for his behaviour.

He said that Taylor accepted he had a problem with alcohol and was willing to work to address it.

Judge Angela Neild decided to defer Taylor’s sentencing until next January, releasing him and giving him the chance to avoid a further prison sentence if his behaviour improves.

Addressing Taylor, she said: “If you are able to show that you are as good as your word as far as your letter says than any sentence imposed on you will be suspended.”

Judge Neild told Taylor that he must engage with the Health Minds therapy programme, must seek and then keep employment.

She said: “Lastly, and this is most importantly, do not offend.”

Taylor will be sentenced on Wednesday January 11 next year.