A warning has gone out after a house fire was started by a candle in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Firefighters from Farnworth Fire Station were called to the scene on Fereday Street between Walkden and Worsley at around 1am to reports of an emergency.

There they found that a blaze had started in a house on the street.

Watch Manager Glyn McGann said: “The fire had started because an occupant of a property had been using a candle which had set fire to the curtains.

“They managed to extinguish it when a neighbour came to their aid.”

Two fire engines from Farnworth Station were called to the scene along with paramedics from the North West Ambulance Service and they were able to give first aid to two people.

One of them was taken to hospital, while the other suffered only minor injuries.

Watch Manager McGann reminded the public the candles and other naked flames can be dangerous and advised them to take precautions.

He said: “While a working smoke alarm would not have prevented this, they can help to ensure that the alarm is raised.”

Watch Manger McGann also advised that people can call 0800 555 815 to see if they are eligible for a Home Fire Safety Assessment.

Members of the public are advised to always call 999 in an emergency.