A dangerous driver who avoided jail the last time he was in court was brought back after “not the best start” to his suspended sentence.

Ali Asghar, 35, had been given a suspended sentence in December last year after being convicted of dangerous driving, driving while banned and taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent.

But he was brought back to Bolton Crown Court this week after missing appointments with probation services on April 30 and May 7 this year.

Peter Malone, prosecuting, said: “The terms and responsibilities were explained to Mr Asghar.”

Asghar, of Heywood Street in Bury, had earned his original sentence after taking a Vauxhall Insignia without the owner’s consent in Bolton on October 17 last year.

The Bolton News: The case was heard at Bolton Crown CourtThe case was heard at Bolton Crown Court (Image: Newsquest)

He then drove the car dangerously across Winchester Way, Stephen Street, Bury Road, Stephens Street, Harvey Street and Tottington Road in Bury that same day, despite already serving a ban.

Asghar was then give a prison sentence of 16 months in prison suspended for 24 months and was ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work with 30 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

Mr Malone told the court that since his sentence Asghar had completed just an hour and one minute of his unpaid work, though he accepted he had medical excuses in some cases, as well as missing the two probation appointments.

Gwen Henshaw, defending, accepted that this had not been good enough but said that the 35-year-old was determined to improve his attitude.

She said: “It’s not been the best start to the order, I have to acknowledge that on behalf of Mr Asghar.”

She added: “But he says he will commit himself to it.”

ALSO READ: A 'crumbling system' and the crimes that shook Bolton

ALSO READ: In the dock - motoring offences to attacks heard in the courts

ALSO READ: 'Vast cuts' see nearly half of Bolton trials delayed

Ms Henshaw told the court that probation services recommended that Ashgar be given extra unpaid work and that he should have to pay costs.

Recorder Carwyn Cox reminded the defendant that his original sentence had been “quite significant” and that it had “not been a good start” but told him that probation services wanted to “give him a chance.”

He ordered Asghar to complete an extra 20 hours of unpaid work and to pay costs of £50 to probation.