An intruder stabbed a young man four times because he was in a relationship with his former partner - but denies trying to kill him.

Ben Tebay, 34, has admitted to carrying out the knife attack on Liam Barber at a house in Ulundi Street, Radcliffe, in the early hours of February 5.

But Tebay has pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder of Mr Barber, who was left with knife wounds to his face, neck, arm and ribs, and is on trial at Manchester Crown Court.

Rachel Shenton, defending, said: “This is simply an issue of whether he intended to kill.”

Nicholas Clarke, prosecuting, told the court how Tebay appeared to have forced his way into a house and attacked his victim, who is in his 20s, with a knife.

He was apparently enraged that the young man was with the defendant’s former partner, jurors were told.

The Bolton News: The trial is taking place at Manchester Crown CourtThe trial is taking place at Manchester Crown Court (Image: Newsquest)

Mr Clarke said Tebay had left the woman persistent voicemail messages throughout the course of the evening before launching his attack in the early hours.

He had already been to the same house earlier that night and had banged on the door before police were called and he left.

But around 15 minutes later Tebay returned a second time and made his way inside the house, the court heard.

In the violent struggle that ensued, lasting two to three minutes, Mr Barber was slashed in the face with a knife and stabbed in three other places.

Ms Shenton claimed that, however distressing, none of these injuries turned out to be “life-threatening.”

Police were called and arrested Tebay, of no fixed abode. 

ALSO READ: Man charged with attempted murder after man in 20s stabbed in Radcliffe

ALSO READ: 'Vast cuts' see nearly half of Bolton trials delayed

ALSO READ: 'Things only getting worse' as hundreds of criminal cases delayed

Detectives remained at the scene for much of the following Sunday, with a cordon in place.

Tebay, who appeared in the dock wearing dark glasses for medical reasons, has  pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm but denied attempted murder.

Ms Shenton told the jury it was in their hands to decide whether Tebay’s intention was murder.

The trial, before Recorder of Manchester Judge Nicholas Dean KC, continues.