A man has been arrested after assaulting another man following a car crash, police say.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) officers were called to Tonge Moor Road at around 2.50pm this afternoon to reports of a disturbance.

Police believe that following a crash, a man got out of his vehicle and assaulted another man.

One man has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

A spokesperson for GMP said: "At around 2:50pm on Tuesday 1 August 2023, officers were called to reports of a disturbance on Tonge Moor Road in Bolton.

The Bolton News: The cordonThe cordon (Image: Newsquest)

“Emergency services attended the scene, and a man was found with head injuries. He has since been taken to hospital to receive further treatment.

“Initial enquiries suggest that shortly after a road traffic collision, the suspect got out of their vehicle and assaulted another man.

“A man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of section 18 assault and has been taken to custody for further questioning.

“A scene will remain in place while officers conduct further enquiries.”


A cordon on Tonge Moor Road this afternoon after a man allegedly assaulted another man following a car crash. Full story on our website

♬ original sound - The Bolton News

A cordon could be seen outside a building on the corner of Tonge Moor Road and Lowerwood Lane at around 4pm this afternoon.

An employee at a nearby store said: “There has been an accident, two cars have caught each other and then the police have turned up because of the accident.

“It happened at around 2.50pm.

“I heard a bit of beeping and looked on the store camera.

“More often than not there is something happening around here, whether it’s a bump or something else.” 

The Bolton News: The cordon on Tonge Moor RoadThe cordon on Tonge Moor Road (Image: Newsquest)

One eye witness said: "The police have put up a cordon on Tonge Moor Road, which is partially on the road and the path.

"There was an ambulance there and two police vans, there seemed to be a car within the cordon too.

"I've no idea what happened."

Another eye witness said they saw a man who "seemed in a bad way"

Another shop worker said: "There was no noise, then all of a sudden police turned up."

A police officer at the scene said they were not sure when the scene would be lifted.