A resident had a 'lucky' escape after their electric bike caught fire in their home.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service firefighters were called to the blaze at an address on Hillfield Walk, Tonge Moor, at around midnight last night.

Crews believe the fire started after an electric bike was charging.

No one was harmed in the blaze and there was minimal damage to the property.

Crew Manager Pete Kerry of Bolton North said: "It was an E-bike incident, we attended at midnight last night.

"It was an E-bike that was on charge, it started to smoke inside the property. The resident had been alerted by working smoke alarms and managed to get himself and the bike outside before calling the fire service.

"One fire engine from Bolton North attended and we were there for about 30 minutes. Crews made the batteries safe and carried out home fire risk assessments.

"There was a bit of smoke within the property, which we cleared out, and the resident had no issues at all."

He continued: "With any kind of charging of E-bikes, E-cigarettes and things like these, make sure to use the correct charging implement that comes with the item and not to do it overnight when asleep.

"The resident was lucky, but he did well getting it out of the property. "

Electric bikes and scooters are becoming increasingly popular. Most are powered by lithium-ion batteries which can be charged in the home. The use of these batteries in a wide range of household products is becoming increasingly common.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service say it is important when charging e-bikes and e-scooters, you do so safely to avoid a risk of a fire starting and putting your families and homes at risk.

Advice for storing and charging

Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and storing your electric bike/scooter.

Fit smoke or heat detection in the room or garage where you charge or store your electric bike/scooter

Store electric bikes/scooters and their batteries in a cool place. Avoid excessively hot or cold places.

Follow manufacturer’s instructions for the storage and maintenance of lithium -ion batteries if they are not going to be used for extended periods of time.

Always use the manufacturer approved charger for the product.

Don’t overcharge and always unplug your charger when it’s finished charging.

Don’t leave batteries to charge while you are asleep or away from the home.

Don’t cover chargers or battery packs when charging. This could lead to overheating or fire.

Don’t charge batteries or store your electric bike/scooter near combustible or flammable materials. In the event of an electric bike/scooter or lithium-ion battery fire – do not attempt to extinguish the fire. Get out, stay out, call 999.

Avoid storing or charging e-bikes/scooters on escape routes or in communal areas where they could impede escape.