A fire broke out at a terraced house last night after appearing to have been started by a portable heater.

The blaze started at a mid-terraced house on Victoria Road Horwich, with firefighters called to the scene at around 11pm.

But when crews from Horwich fire station arrived at the scene they found that the blaze had already been put out.

Watch Manager Howard Denton said: “It was a fire involving a mid-terraced property on Victoria Road Horwich.

“It had been started by a portable heater and the carpets had then caught fire.”

He added: “It was out on arrival, the occupants had managed to extinguish the fire.”

The crews were on the scene for around an hour.

No injuries have been reported as a result of the fire but Watch Manager Denton stressed the importance of people making sure that their homes are fitted with working smoke alarms that are checked regularly.

People can check the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service website to find out if they are eligible for a home fire safety assessment.

Crews may then fit free smoke and heat alarms during their visit to the home, depending on the fire risk.