A dangerous driver led police on a chase up to three times the speed limit, a court has heard.

Craig Pearson, 40, was spotted by police on patrol in Farnworth just after midnight on August 1 this year.

But Bolton Crown Court heard how he was captured by the officer’s body camera footage trying escape at high speeds in his Vauxhall Insignia.

Prosecutor Keith Jones said: “At times he is travelling in excess of 60mph in a 20mph zone.”

During the pursuit, Pearson drove straight through a red light, and at one point on the wrong side of the road forcing other cars out of his way.

The Bolton News: The case was heard at Bolton Crown CourtThe case was heard at Bolton Crown Court (Image: Newsquest)

Mr Jones said: “It’s essentially constantly accelerating away from the police vehicle.”

Pearson, who has nine previous convictions for 16 offences, was eventually arrested and admitted his crime when interviewed by police.

But Mr Jones said a breath test found he did not have alcohol in his system at the time.

He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving when brought before Wigan and Leigh Magistrates' Court on September 19.

Rebecca Filletti, defending, argued that Pearson deserved credit for having pleaded guilty at the earliest possible opportunity and said that he had worked hard at his rehabilitation since then.

She said: “He in interview fully accepted and acknowledged his criminal responsibility in this matter.”

She added: “It appears that on this date this was the rock bottom he had hit before his efforts at rehabilitation.”

Ms Filletti told the court that since his arrest Pearson had started regularly seeing a psychotherapist and was in full time employment.

She also said that reports by the probation service showed how he had accepted responsibility for his actions and wanted to move on.

Ms Filletti said: “He is acknowledging he is sorry for what has happened and the potential dangers that he may have caused.”

She added: “In this situation, perhaps more than most, we can see light at the end of the tunnel.”

ALSO READ: Speeding hotspot 'where people feel like they're sat at a racetrack' flagged

ALSO READ: New cameras to find criminals and tackle speeding installed in Bolton

ALSO READ: 'Things only getting worse' as hundreds of criminal cases delayed

Recorder Andrew Long reminded the court that Person, of Ramsey Avenue, Farnworth, had committed a “very serious offence” but accepted his “life was at a very low ebb.”

He also accepted the 40-year-old’s guilty plea and the remorse he had since shown.

Recorder Long sentenced Pearson to six months in prison, suspended for 12 months and ordered his to completed 20 rehabilitation activity days with 100 hours of unpaid work.

He also ordered the defendant to complete a six-month alcohol treatment programme and hit him with a two year driving ban.