A man in his 40s has been arrested after a fire at a property police believe was being used as a cannabis farm in Little Lever.

Officers were called at around 11.30pm yesterday, Thursday, December 8, after reports of a fire on Wilkinson Road emerged.

Police say that following further inspection, they believed there had been a cannabis farm.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis and remains in custody for questioning.

On arrival fire crews from Farnworth and Bolton Central say they were “faced with a well-developed fire”.

The Bolton News: They used breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire and remained on the scene for around three hours.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “At around 11.30pm on Thursday December 7, Greater Manchester Police were called to reports of a fire at an address on Wilkinson Road, Little Lever.

“Officers attended to support colleagues from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

“Upon further inspection, officers believe there to be a cannabis farm in the property.

“A man in his 40s has been arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis and remains in custody for questioning.

The Bolton News: Incidents such as these can cause significant risk not only to the occupants but to neighbouring residents and properties due to the dangerous practices involved.

“These include high powered heat lamps, chemicals, and the bypassing of electrical meters with significant usage of electricity that can cause fires to break out.

“If you know of such practices, please contact Greater Manchester Police or crime stoppers which you can do anonymously online or by calling 0800 555 111.”

A police investigation is now in place whilst enquiries are carried out.

Crew manager at Farnworth Fire Station, Chris Spary, said: “The fire happened at around 11.30pm last night (Thursday, December 8).

“Three fire engines attended, two from Farnworth, and one from Bolton Central.

“We attended a house fire on Wilkinson Avenue in Little Lever.

“There are no injuries.

“On arrival we were faced with a well-developed fire.

“We used breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire, and we were there for around three hours.

“There is now an investigation under way to establish the cause.”

If you have a story and something you would like to highlight in the community, please email me at jasmine.jackson@newsquest.co.uk or DM me on Twitter @JournoJasmine.