The vehicles may have changed but the area remains instantly recognisable.

This photo from 1952 shows Blackburn Road at junction with Belmont Road at Astley Bridge heading off to the left.

Looking Back readers may remember the Lawson’s Arms Hotel which would later become known as the Three Pigeons, taking its name from the coat of arms of the Lawson family, major landowners around Astley Bridge in the Nineteenth century.

Nice to see a Bolton Co-op truck in the foreground.