A Bolton man who had been banned from the roads led police on a chase in which he crashed into another vehicle before trying to jump out of his own car and ended up being dragged along the road.

Thomas Smethurst was spotted in a BMW on Wigan Road by officers in September last year.

Bolton Crown Court heard that as they approached him he sped away.

The car drove on Doyle Road, Hunger Hill Avenue, Lock Lane, Tempest Road and St John’s Road.

David Bentley, prosecuting, said: “He was requested to stop and failed to do so.On Lock Lane the vehicle hit 70 miles per hour.

“He narrowly missed a number of pedestrians.He collided with a red Mini and caused it to spin.”

The pursuit came to an end as Smethurst tried to leave the vehicle but ended up being dragged along by it before it came a stop after crashing.

The 23-year-old from Hawthorn Street, Deane, Bolton,  appeared in court to be sentenced after admitting dangerous driving, failing to stop, driving while disqualified and with no insurance.

The court heard he had been disqualified from driving on three separate occasions when he carried out the offences.

Darren Finnegan, defending, said: “Mr Smethurst has told me this was a split second decision that he made when he was aware the police were behind him.

“Once he had committed to that split second decision to evade the police it was difficult for him to step back and do the sensible thing.

“He does not believe he is out of control and his offending can be managed in the community.

“He has been in custody from the end of October.”

Read more: Magistrates courts deal with motoring offences 

Read more: Vauxhall dealership targeted by car cannibals 

Read more: Mum of murdered woman still wants justice years on

Judge Nicholas Clarke KC said: “If you continue to drive in this way you may cause someone serious injury or you may even kill somebody.

“It is difficult to think of a more serious case than this which has not caused serious injury or has cause death.”

He jailed him for 16 months and banned him from the roads for three years and eight months.