Tributes have been paid to a father from Bolton who died aged only 51. 

Darryl Kerr suffered a heart attack and died in the early hours of July 9 last year, having been out celebrating a birthday. 

An inquest into his death took place on February 7 at Bolton Coroners' Court. 

His brother, Christian Kerr, told the inquest his brother had attended Mount St Joseph and Sharples High schools, with both of them living "a good childhood". 

After school, he worked as a labourer, in sales and as a porter at a hotel chain. 

Darryl also had two children with a partner, who he married. However, after three years, they "sadly" divorced, which, the inquest heard, left him unable to access his children. 

Christian said that things "slowly went downhill from there" for his brother. 

He became "addicted to amphetamine for seven years", struggled with his mental health, being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, and stopped work. 

Darryl's brother would look after him, "making sure he took his medication" and caring for him "daily". 

On July 8 last year, he and Christian went out with friends to celebrate a birthday. 

Upon the group arriving back at Christian's house at 1.45am that night, Darryl fell asleep on the sofa. 

The rest of the group decided they wanted to "continue partying" and left at around 2.30am, before returning at 5.15am. 

Upon arrival, they found him on the floor in the kitchen. 

Paramedics were called, who pronounced him dead at the scene. 

Christian Kerr paid tribute to his brother, saying: "It was such a shock to us, he was a fun-loving guy, he loved to party and he offered his time to anybody who asked.

"He was always out and didn't like to be sat inside. He was loved by his family, is missed and will be forever in our hearts." 

Pathologist Dr Patrick Waugh gave his cause of death as ischemic heart disease, caused by coronary artery atherosclerosis, with contributory factors of alcohol intoxication and cocaine use. 

Concluding, Coroner Simon Nelson said: "Mr Kerr died as a consequence of a naturally occurring disease, exacerbated by the use of alcohol and cocaine."