Three dogs were rescued by firefighters from a kitchen blaze started by a tumble drier.

The blaze broke out at a house on Highclove Lane, Boothstown, at around 11.30pm on the evening of Friday, March 22.

Firefighters from Farnworth Fire Station were called to the scene where they found the fire having been started in the kitchen.

Watch Manager Kevin Wright said: “It was a kitchen fire that looked to have been started by a tumble drier."

Three dogs were helped, which fortunately had not been left alone in the house at any point that evening and were unharmed, were helped to safety.  

The house was fully equipped with two working smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide, which firefighters have commended as showing the importance of safety measures like this.

Watch Manager Wright said: “This really does show the importance of making sure that you have a working smoke alarm fitted and not switching off a tumble drier unless you have made sure you have given it the proper cooling down period.”

He added that he and his colleagues were called to the scene at around 11.30pm and remained there for around two hours.

ALSO READ: GMFRS is most improved fire service in the country

ALSO READ: Centre demolished after devastating fire breaks out at building

They returned to their station at around 1.30am in the early hours of Saturday morning.

No serious injuries or damage to any other nearby properties have been reported as a result of the fire.

Members of the public have been urged to always call 999 in the event of an emergency.