A teenager who “armed himself with a knife” has been found guilty of murdering a man.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, stabbed 49-year-old Paul Marsh in his right shoulder at a house on Samuel Street, Atherton in November last year.

Mr Marsh sustained fatal injuries and following a trial at Minshull Street Crown Court the boy has now been convicted of murder.

CPS North West senior crown prosecutor Richard Holliday said: “The teenager armed himself with a knife and inflicted a fatal injury on Mr Marsh.

“Far from being remorseful for his actions, he fled the scene and then attempted to evade responsibility by claiming Mr Marsh had stabbed himself.

The Bolton News: The trial took place at Minshull Street Crown CourtThe trial took place at Minshull Street Crown Court (Image: Newsquest)

“The CPS worked closely with Greater Manchester Police to build a strong case, producing evidence at court that disproved the 17-year old’s version of events.

“My thoughts are with the friends and family of Mr Marsh.”

The trial heard how Mr Marsh had been at a friend’s house on November 17 with others and how as the evening progressed there was tension between him and the then 16-year-old boy.

After an argument a scuffle broke out between Mr Marsh and the teenager during which the 49-year-old was stabbed in the shoulder.

The teenager fled the scene, and an ambulance was called, which arrived at around 6.20pm.

Mr Marsh was already in cardiac arrest, and died despite attempts to resuscitate him.

After being traced and arrested, the boy claimed that Mr Marsh was the aggressor and had the knife.

He also said that Mr Marsh had stabbed himself accidentally during the struggle.

post-mortem,  concluded the cause of death was confirmed as the stab wound to the shoulder and resulting blood loss.

The pathologist also confirmed that in their opinion it would have been almost impossible for the injury to have been inflicted in the manner alleged by the teenager.

Whilst awaiting his trial the teenager made calls to friends and family in an attempt to avoid justice but was found guilty of murder on Wednesday March 27.

He had already admitted to attempting to pervert the course of justice.

A tribute from Mr Marsh's family after his death said: “Paul was our son, brother, partner and father and he was loved unconditionally.

ALSO READ: Tributes as 'son, brother, partner and father' at centre of murder probe named

ALSO READ: Inquest into death of Paul Marsh opens

ALSO READ: Boy charged with murder after death of man

"Paul’s death is beyond comprehension, and we cannot believe that he has died in such a violent and tragic way.

“Paul will be remembered for many things not least, his laughter, loyalty, and sense of fun.

“Paul will not be forgotten, and our world is a sadder place without him in it.”

The boy will be brought back to court for sentencing on May 8 this year.