Workers on an industrial estate in Bolton have expressed their shock after a teenager died near their place of work.

A 17-year-old died after getting into difficulty in water near Raikes Lane yesterday evening.

Emergency services were called at around 8pm following reports the teenager had got into trouble.

A large presence including around 20 vehicles were sent to the scene.

The boy was found but pronounced dead at the scene.

Today workers from the Raikes Lane Industrial Estate have expressed their shock at what took place.

Read more: Two in hospital after crash on Blackburn Road

Read more: Delays on A666 after tree falls onto road

Read more: Woman shocked after car crashes into wall outside home

One man saw the aftermath of the teenager going missing.

He said: "I parked a car up on the road.

"'As I was going out two kids were frantically running around, I said 'are you ok?'

"'They said 'we are looking for our friend, have you seen anyone in a wet suit?'

"I came back and they were still running around.

"They were also in wet suits.

"Emergency services came, police, ambulance, fire and mountain rescue.

"I couldn't get out on the road.

"We broke a lock to let them get through to the water another way.

"Nobody told us what happened.

"It is a shock, poor lad, it is quiet around here."

Another man who works nearby said: "We heard this morning, everyone here is talking about it."

Detective Inspector Stuart Woodhead said: “This is an extremely upsetting and distressing incident for those involved due to the tragic circumstances and we are continuing to support their loved ones at this time."

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said: “At around 8pm on Tuesday 9 April, fire crews were called to a reports of a person in the water near Raikes Lane in Bolton. 

“Two fire engines from Bolton Central fire station, as well as the water incident unit from Heywood and the technical response unit from Leigh, quickly attended the scene. 

“Firefighters recovered a 17-year-old male from the water who was then conveyed to hospital, but despite the best efforts of emergency services he sadly passed away. This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the young man’s family and friends.”