A convicted burglar stole from a car boot sale stall in an “impulsive and unpleasant” theft while serving a suspended sentence.

Christopher Jackson had avoided a jail sentence in September last year for his two burglaries.

Bolton Crown Court heard how months later the 57-year-old and another man stole from a stall at the Grecian Market car boot sale in Great Lever, threatening a stall holder who gave chase.

Prosecutor Tanya Elahi said: “They turned around and told him to stop following them, putting their fists up, which he did.”

Ms Elahi told the court how Jackson, of Alder Street, Great Lever, and the other man had stolen a mobile phone, two smart watches and a torch from the stall.

The Bolton News: The case was heard at Bolton Crown CourtThe case was heard at Bolton Crown Court (Image: Newsquest)

As they ran off Jackson dropped a white mobile phone, which belonged to him already separately from the one he had stolen.

Police were able to track Jackson down using the phone and after at first trying to blame the other man he answered no comment when interviewed by police.

But brought before the magistrates’ court he pleaded guilty to theft.

Ms Elahi said that Jackson, who has 47 previous convictions for 83 offences, had been sentenced to 13 months in prison, suspended for 18 months, the previous September.

This was for two burglaries committed over April and June 2023, one of which involved taking copper piping which damaged the targeted building.

Betsy Hindle, defending, pointed out that a theft offence like this would normally have been dealt with by the magistrates’ court.

It had only been brought to the crown court because of Jackson’s suspended sentence order.

She said that despite his long criminal history, Jackson had managed to avoid committing further crimes for around nine years before his burglaries.

Ms Hindle said: “And he tells me that during those nine years he lived a very normal life.”

But Recorder Graham Wells reminded Jackson of how he had squandered the chance the court had given him last time.

He said: “It all seemed to be going well and then you committed this theft, which was an impulsive but unpleasant theft.”

ALSO READ: Police charge man, 56, with business and home burglaries

ALSO READ: The court cases that shook Bolton in 2023

ALSO READ: Thousands of victims wait for justice amid 'unprecedented mess' facing courts

Recorder Wells said he had “no doubt” that the stallholders felt threatened.

He sentenced Jackson to a 12-month community order with a mental health treatment requirement and extended his suspended sentence by six months.

He also ordered the 57-year-old to pay compensation of £60, to be deducted from his benefits.

As Jackson left the dock, Recorder Wells said: “Second chance Mr Jackson, don’t blow it this time.”