Police were called out to a suspected crash at a Bolton roundabout earlier today.

The crash is believed to have happened at a roundabout between Gaskell Street, Merehall Drive and Brownlow Way on the morning of Sunday April 21.

At least one car appears to have been involved and police were forced to cordon off the road for a period on Sunday.

Cllr Rabiya Jiva, of Halliwell, said: “This looks to be a very serious incident and I would like to assure people in the community that I am aware and will be keeping a close watch as more details become available.

“We don’t yet know the full circumstances, but I have said on many occasions before that road safety is one of the key concerns people in the community have raised and has always been one of my top priorities.

The Bolton News: Police were called to the scenePolice were called to the scene (Image: Public)

“For now we can only hope that everyone who may have been caught up in this incident will be alright and I encourage anyone who may have seen what happened to help the police with any investigations they may need to carry out.

“Thanks to everyone who may be able to help and please take care when you get behind the wheel.”

The roundabout is found just next to Thomasson Park, a short distance from Bolton town centre on the way towards Halliwell.

Cllr Jiva, who’s role as council cabinet member for stronger communities includes policing and public safety, said she hoped people would take care when travelling through the area.

ALSO READ: Crash reported near Halliwell roundabout

ALSO READ: Police say car in Great Lever, Bolton used for 'drug supply'

ALSO READ: Driver carrying hay taken off the road by GMP on M66

It is not yet known how the suspected collision occurred but images from the scene show at least one car appears to have been involved and appears to have hit a tree at some point.

No further details have yet been reported about any injuries or further damage to the area that may have occurred as a result of the incident.

Firefighters from Bolton North and Bolton Central Fire Stations confirmed that they had not been called to the scene, which appears to have involved only the police and paramedics.

Greater Manchester Police and the North West Ambulance Service have been approached for comment.