The jury have retired to consider the case of a Bolton man who died after being arrested by police – but have been told they cannot find that officers contributed to the death.

Muhammedou Kinteh entered the Newbury Convenience Store on St James Street, Farnworth, and began to behave erratically.

The 45-year-old was seen with a knife and threw bottles.

He was restrained by staff members and police were called.

After he was arrested officers found he was in cardiac arrest.

Mr Kinteh, from Boscombe Gardens, Kearsley, was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital where he died later that day in May 2018.

An inquest into his death has been taking place at the Bolton Coroners Court.

As he died after he had been arrested a jury is required to determine the outcome.

Read more: Farnworth student, 26, died after heart problems

Read more: Blackrod man, 48, died at home, inquest hears

Read more: Bolton Coroners Court transformed to help families

The court was told the cause of death was given as the pathophysiological effects of an incident on that day combined with cocaine toxicity and a coronary atheroma.

The jury has been sent out to consider a conclusion but has been told they cannot find the police played any role in the death.

Coroner Peter Sigee said: “It would be unsafe for me to allow to you to find that action committed by a police officer more than minimally cause or contributed to Mr Kinteh’s death.”

A toxicology report found there was cocaine in Mr Kinteh’s system at the time of his death.

Mr Sigee told the jury: “It has not been possible to have evidence to show when or in what circumstance he consumed such substances ... or whether he did so voluntarily.”

The court heard previously from Sheena Kinteh, the wife or Mr Kineth.

She said he had come home at 5am on the morning of his death.

She said he had got up and gone to visit family and had told her he was on his way home.

Mr Kinteh said she was told there was a disturbance at the shop and had made her way there and later went to the hospital where her husband died.

The jury is considering its verdict.