A father from Bolton who was said to be "very keen" on joinery died after struggling with his health.

Christian Smith, 48, was found unresponsive at his home in Bolton on January 17 this year. 

Mr Smith, of Torrington Avenue, Halliwell, was taken by ambulance to Royal Bolton Hospital, but suffered a cardiac arrest. He was pronounced dead the same day. 

An inquest into his death was held at Bolton Coroners' Court on Thursday, June 6.

The inquest heard how he had a "happy childhood", growing up in the area and attending Smithills School. 

Although he "never had a long period of employment", he "was very keen on joinery" and had all the tools. 

Mr Smith was also said to be "keen on trial bikes and mud bikes". He also had a daughter. 

He was said to have had health struggles, such as heart condition atrial fibrillation, which causes an irregular heartbeat, and "chest problems". 

From a young age, Mr Smith also struggled with alcohol, gambling and drugs, starting with cannabis before going on to heroin. 

The inquest heard how he "got in with the wrong crowd" who became "enablers" for him. 

Mr Smith also attended rehab multiple times over the years. 

On January 17 this year, he was found unresponsive at his home. 

Dr Matthew Taylor, an emergency medical speciality trainee at Royal Bolton Hospital, was working at the hospital on that day. 

The department was told by the ambulance service that Mr Smith was being brought in, suffering with low blood pressure, and a further update said that he had gone into "cardiac arrest". 

He had last been seen by a friend the previous night, but was found unconscious that day. 

When he arrived at the hospital, attempts to resuscitate him were made, including "chest compressions" and the use of a defibrillator. 

However, "no cardiac activity" could be seen, efforts were stopped and he was pronounced dead that evening. 

Pathologist Dr Ravindra Sawant gave Mr Smith's cause of death as morphine toxicity. 

Referring to the Dr Hassan Kurimbokus' toxicology report, Dr Sawant said he had a level of morphine in his blood "towards the top end of the fatal range". 

Concluding, Coroner Michael Pemberton said: "He had his problems with substances, and he made attempts to get on top of those, but slipped back into it. 

"Mr Smith was a known intravenous drug user and had struggles over the years in terms of drug use." 

He concluded Mr Smith's death as having been drug-related.