A man was "left for dead" after being attacked with a spanner during disorder centred around a Bury town centre bar following the England vs Denmark Euro 2024 football match last week.

Police said the man was bleeding from his "head, ears, nose and mouth" and lost several teeth after being brutally hit on the head up to eight times.

The attack happened shortly after midnight on Friday, June 21.

An urgent licensing review for Sky Bar on Kay Gardens was requested by Greater Manchester Police (GMP), who said it was at the centre of "serious crime and disorder".

The alleged disorder came after the match, which kicked off at 5pm last Thursday, with pubs and bars more busy than usual with people watching the game and staying out afterwards.

PC Peter Eccleston, the town’s licensing officer, told the panel the chain of events happened after two male customers were confronted and their glasses taken for drinking alcohol outside the venue, which is not allowed under licence conditions.

He said the two men then entered the bar and there was a confrontation.

They were then ejected before disorder erupted just outside.

PC Eccleston said that during the alleged disorder a customer was struck over the head by an advertising board and knocked unconscious and a female member of staff at the bar was punched in the face and knocked her off her feet, resulting in her colliding with a lamp post.

He said: “One of the bar customers following them had picked up a large spanner from behind the bar used previously for changing gas bottles in the cellar and chased the men off.”

READ MORE > Bar licensing hearing called after England v Denmark Euro 2024 disorder

PC Eccleston said the two men were then followed by a group from the bar who "pursued them" to the nearby Bury travel interchange.

He said: “There’s an exchange of words and the wrench is used to beat very severely one of the initial two fellas that were ejected.

"He got struck in the head a good six, seven, eight times.

“Another man in the group strikes the man while he’s unconscious on the floor with a shoulder bag.

"Fortunately, and I don’t know how, the man beaten with a wrench has survived.

"But he was left for dead in the middle of the road at Bury Interchange.

“He lost a substantial amount of blood from his head, ears, nose and mouth along with several teeth.”

He said the spanner was taken by another member of the group and disposed of in a bin on the other side of the interchange.

He said police were investigating two assaults outside Sky Bar, a wounding with intent at the interchange, a mixture of public order offences and assisting an offender.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox by signing up to the Bury Times morning newsletter as well as our breaking news alerts

A spokesman for GMP said an investigation into the alleged crimes is still ongoing with no arrests yet made.

Solicitor Malcolm Ireland spoke on behalf of Sky Bar at the hearing.

He said: “You’ve heard horrific stuff that paints the bar in a bad light, but it’s a community bar. Our customers our diverse and range from 18 to 80, everyone is welcome.

“There has been an outpouring of support for the bar.

Letters have been circulated to the panel.

“The supporters range from a former police officer to a woman in her 70s, it’s not a dive.”

The licensing panel imposed an interim change in licensing conditions that a door supervisor is on duty at Sky Bar every evening from 8pm and management explore staff training about "de-escalation".

There will be a full review of the licence on July 19.