YEOVIL 0, SHAKERS 1: For the second time this season Graham Barrow watched his Bury side deservedly take three points against the table-topping Glovers.

And for the second time in two weeks, Simon Whaley was on the scoresheet, firing home in the first half to put a dampener on the carnival atmosphere that almost always pervades the neat little Yeovil ground.

It was a coupon-busting result that not too many pundits expected and spoke volumes for the spirit, attitude and endeavour of a squad rejuvenated by players coming back from injury.

The win went a long way to easing the worry of a late slide into the relegation places for Barrow's men but he couldn't help but reflect that but for financial worries, the points could have been used for an assault on the promotion and play-off slots.

"It's a great win for us because it keeps us away from the trouble at the bottom but at the same time it's a bit of a sickener because we should have been in the mix at the top," he reflected.

"Now we have players like Chris Porter, Dwayne Mattis and Glyn Garner coming back it's amazing the difference it makes."

Yeovil had scored 47 goals in their previous 18 home league games, scoring in every one and in Phil Jevons they boasted the division's leading marksman with 24.

But they found themselves up against a spirited Shakers side who were in no mood to be sacrificial lambs following the Glovers' surprise defeat at Darlington last weekend.

Nevertheless, they started strongly and put the Bury defence under intense pressure in the opening minutes, roared on by their vociferous supporters.

As early as the second minute Garner made a vital save from Polish striker Bartosz Tarachulski and Lee Unsworth headed off the line from Aaron Davies as the home side ran at the Shakers defence at every opportunity.

But Bury, defending bravely, rode out the storm and stunned the home fans by taking the lead in the 14th minute when skipper Dave Challinor delivered a dangerous right wing cross into the box and the ball broke for Whaley who drilled a powerful effort past Steve Collis.

Yeovil hit back with a Tarachulski shot on the turn was acrobatically pushed over the bar by Garner while Darren Way fired a first time volley wide.

But it wasn't all one way traffic though, Jon Newby saw a chip headed over the bar by Terry Skiverton and in first half stoppage time Whaley almost doubled his tally with a shot that cannoned off the legs of Collis.

Jevons twice blasted shots off target while in stoppage time Michael Rose hit an effort from the edge of the box that cleared the crossbar.

BURY: Garner, Whaley (Scott 86), Unsworth, Challinor, Fitzgerald, Woodthorpe, Kennedy, Flitcroft, Mattis, Porter (Kazim-Richards 71), Newby (Barry-Murphy 79). Subs not used: Collinge and Buchanan.

Referee: Mr J. Ross (London)

Attendance: 6,269