WANDERERS 1, MANCHESTER CITY 3: A 50th minute own goal by Simon Charlton added to Wanderers' fans' misery as Manchester City - 6-2 winners at the City of Manchester Stadium last year - turned the screw yet again.

The week has been dominated by the Carling Cup Final tickets fiasco and defeat against the blue half of Manchester was the very last thing fans wanted.

You can read all our website stories from this week highlighted by fans' verdicts on the ticket sell-out what Wanderers have said so far in an official statement last Monday, plus respected Bolton Evening News Chief Soccer Writer Gordon Sharrock's opinion on the whole sorry mess.

City started the second half with only 10 men as Claudio Reyna was late leaving the dressing room.

However there was no damage done as they went out to secure their first league victory since November 1.

Djorkaeff tried to pick out Campo with a inswinging free-kick after 48 minutes but James made a comfortable catch.

City extended their lead after 50 minutes when Charlton turned a cross from McManaman past his own goalkeeper Jaaskelainen.

The Finnish shot-stopper then had to look alert to stop a header from Antoine Sibierski following a corner by Tarnat.

HALF-TIME REPORT Wanderers 1 Man City 2:

Two goals from Robbie Fowler put Manchester City in the driving seat against Wanderers at half-time.

He struck at the double in the space of three minutes after the home side had taken the lead.

Kevin Nolan made the breakthrough for the Carling Cup finalists with his 10th goal of the season.

That double blast from Fowler, which took his tally to nine goals, had lifted City and they were playing with renewed confidence.

Tarnat delivered a long ball from the left into the path of Sinclair but his effort was blocked by Jaaskelainen.

Wanderers tried to regroup and won a corner on the left. It was delivered by Djorkaeff and Campo got clear - only to head wide.

Then Djorkaeff tried to place a free-kick beyond James but it only ended up in the England goalkeeper's arms.


WANDERERS captain Jay-Jay Okocha had to settle for a place on the substitutes bench at the Reebok Stadium today.

Okocha only returned to the club late this week after being on African Nations Cup with Nigeria.

Manager Sam Allardyce was looking for a boost ahead of the Carling Cup final against Middlesbrough a week tomorrow.

He handed debuts to defenders John Otsemobor and Steve Howey - against his former club.

City went into the game anxious to end a run of 14 league matches without a victory.

Goalkeeper David James replaced Arni Arason while Jon Macken partnered Robbie Fowler up front with Nicolas Anelka suspended.

Wanderers: Jaaskelainen, Otsemobor, Howey, Charlton, Barness, Campo, Nolan, Frandsen, Djorkaeff, Pedersen, Davies. Subs: Poole, N'Gotty, Okocha, Hunt, Javi Moreno.

Man City: James, Wright-Phillips, Dunne, Distin, Tarnat, Sinclair, McManaman, Reyna, Sibierski, Macken, Fowler. Subs: Arason, Jihai, Negouai, Jordan, Elliott.

Referee: S Dunn (Gloucestershire)