Wigan 34 Leigh 1st XV 14 - LEIGH produced a below par performance in their local derby game at Wigan.

Wigan took an early lead when their half-backs combined well from a wheeled scrum to put the winger in at the corner. A touchline conversion and a penalty saw Leigh trailing 10-0.

Wigan scored a further converted try as a result of Leigh's suicidal passing on their own line, before Harrison opened Leigh's account when he touched down a chip ahead by Wilcock, who also converted for a half time score of 17-7.

Playing with the wind at their backs in the second half, Wigan made better use of it and produced two further converted tries and a penalty arising from defensive errors.

Leigh's only reply in the second half saw a number of scoring attempts repelled before Harrison scored his second try in the corner, which was converted from the touchline by Wilcock.

Leigh Hawks 12 Preston 22

Leigh again disappointingly took to the field without a front row, having to resort to uncontested scrums for the 4th week in succession.

However, Leigh dominated this game for long periods but slack defence from a scrum allowed the powerful Preston winger to go over in the corner for the first score. Another miss move by the Preston fly-half stretched the Leigh defence for another score on the opposite wing close to half time.

Leigh opened the second half with some excellent running rugby and soon restored the deficit with well worked tries for Heywood and Davies. However the lack of pressure in the scrums again affected Leigh's usual game plan and Preston scored two late tries.

Montel Carrington 30 Leigh Tofts 22

The Tofts winning run came to an abrupt end against a bigger and ultimately more determined Montel side. Missed tackles allowed the home team two first half tries. Leigh replied with Lawrenson breaking through the centre after good play from Smith and Yates.

The second half saw Montel extend their lead after Leigh failed to clear their lines. But the Tofts came back strongly and in the final quarter they were the better side, scoring three second half tries from Fallon, Rod Ormskirk and Smith.

Wigan Vets 10 Leigh Vets 38

Leigh started well with Cumming going over, shortly followed by two tries from Unsworth. Although Wigan were dominate in the forwards, pushing Leigh off several scrums, they were unable to cross the Leigh defence.

In the second half it was again one sided, with tries coming from Billinge, Marrow and Dainty. Wigan were allowed a consolation try in the dying moments of the game.

Aldwinians Colts 7 Leigh Colts 11

Leigh Colts travelled to Audenshaw to take on the unbeaten league leaders and Lancashire Cup holders Aldwinians in what proved to be a tough and enthralling encounter.

The home side were the first to get points on the board with good rucking and mauling setting up the full-back to score under the posts.

Leigh began to get themselves back into the game and were awarded a penalty, that fly-half Michael Eccles converted to put them back in the game at 7-3.

Leigh started the second half strongly and won a scrum from the kick off. From this Leigh drove forward and were awarded another scrum 25 metres out. Speedy No.8 Ryan McKinstry picked up at the back of the scrum, took the ball on the blind-side and stepped the full-back to score.

From the re-start another attack led to Leigh being awarded a penalty that Eccles converted.

Junior Colts 21 Eccles 5

Leigh had a solid victory against old rivals from Eccles in a competitive encounter.

Leigh had the early pressure and after forward drives by Michael Murray, David Ashurst fed Thomas Andrews for the opening touchdown which the try scorer converted.

Eccles then had a period of pressure before Leigh moved up field and Paul Morgan scored when the Eccles defence hesitated fatally.

Leigh were well on top in the second period with Ben Halton running strongly to provide a try for Lee Fitzmartin; Andrews again converting. Eccles had the last word with an unconverted try in the final moments.

Sedgley Park U13s 66 Leigh U13s 0

Leigh came up against a bigger, faster and more experienced Sedgley Park team, who set the scene by scoring direct from the kick off. Sedgley used their size and pace to build up a commanding half-time lead of 38-0 and then continued in the same vein in the second-half.