SEEDFIELD Sports Club defied all the odds on Saturday to clinch a place in the last 16 of the Lancashire Adidas Amateur Shield.

Two goals down by half time at West Lancs League Division One side Tempest United, the Bury outfit seemed all but dead and buried in one of the few amateur games in the North West to survive the weather.

Suddenly Seedfield sparked into life, took the game to the home club with a vengeance and came out eventual 3-2 victors. Scorer of an absolutely superb winner was former Leicester City, Bury and Atherton LR star Andy Feeley.

Since finishing in the professional game, 'Feelers' has proved to be one of the most entertaining 'characters' on the local semi pro, and subsequently the amateur, scene. He showed he has not lost any of the guile and skill that once saw him pick up the Filbert Street Player of the Season Award when he played in the same Leicester side as his big chum Gary Lineker, with a 30 yard strike of unquestionable class and inch perfect precision.

Tempest Chairman Alan Westhead summed up the disappointment of the Chew Moor club at crashing out of the Premier Amateur Knockout Competition when he said: "Two goals up at half time, we thought we had the game won then all of a sudden in the second half we press the self-destruct button. Seedfield got on top after the interval and fully deserved their victory really.

"We were awful. It wasn't that they improved that much we just went terrible. We'd opened the scoring when a defender put through his own net after only a quarter of an hour and the second came on 35 minutes. By half time we could have had three or four more. When we went in 2-0 up, at half time, we just thought that was it. The teams came out for the second half and they got one back quickly. Then we hit the post and they went straight down the other end and made it two apiece.

"They scored two goals in three minutes - 50 and 50 three minutes! From then on they got more on top and Andy Feeley scored that winner with a 30 yarder. We all know how well he can hit a ball and he certainly hit that one. That was it. There was 10 minutes left but we never got going again. That's the chance to get in the semi finals and finals gone again for another year! Really we should have won it but taking nothing away from them, in the second half they came at us a bit and we got complacent and you can't afford to do that."

Peter Cooper's Turton will be another of our local sides flying the Bolton area flag in the last 16 of the Shield following a superb 5-3 victory at Croston Sports. The first half saw Cooper's side create and squander numerous chances to pay the price by conceding a goal just two minutes before the interval. Chances went begging in the second half before three goals in a 10 minute spell from Rob Dobie, Paul Davis, and Dougie Owen, put Turton in the driving seat.

Croston refused to lie down and levelled the scores with two goals in as many minutes, Cooper's insistence this season on his players striving for extra fitness in training paid off when Damien McGuire scored with a fine header and the victory was sealed with a Jimmy Khan special from a free kick. Hindsford crash after early strike HINDSFORD came unstuck in a 5-1 thumping at Kersal Lads Club to crash out at the Second Round stage of the Bolton Evening News Cup, despite taking a fifth minute lead through Twist. The Eccles outfit hit back through Burke, Lomax and Quelcutti before half time, with two goals from Baison on 68 and 85 minutes firmly killing off the Tyldesley challenge.

Bolton Lads Club enjoyed a 5-2 Premier Division triumph over Summerseat with Williams and Mitchell getting a brace apiece and Fatough scoring once. Pears and Rider were on the mark for the visitors to Hacken Lane. Leaders British Aerospace picked up another valuable League point to go three clear at the top in a 1-1 draw at Hindley Green. Charnley opened the scoring on the quarter hour for the Lostock club with Flores equalising 10 minutes later for Hindley.

Tyldesley United got absolutely trounced at home 11-2 by Brindle Heath. Buckley cracked in five, Ashall chipped in with a hat-trick and Law and Jones got two each, with Bevin and Harwood getting consolation strikes for the home side.

O'Rourke banged in two and McLelland and Mathews got a goal each in the second division as Ainsworth Reserves won 4-1 away at British Aerospace Reserves with Moss getting a late lone strike for the home side.

The St Helens Interleague side lost 5-3 at home to the Warrington League which puts the Combination Inter League squad into the semi finals of the Northern Competition. The Comb squad now needs to beat the St Helens side on December 14 to finish top in the group stages.

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.