GREGG Wylde has spoken for the first time about living in limbo while Wanderers slipped through the relegation trap door.

The Scottish winger plumped for the Reebok ahead of several other top flight clubs in March when he agreed to cancel his five-year contract at Glasgow Rangers, who remain in the grip of administration.

But such was the mess he left behind at Ibrox, football’s governing body FIFA continued to delay a decision to allow him to play under Owen Coyle while they sifted through the books of a club teetering on the edge of financial disaster.

As Wanderers’ plight grew more and more desperate, so did Wylde’s desire to get involved, but despite the best efforts of the club and the Football Association to get him registered in time for the final few games of the campaign, their efforts proved unsuccessful.

The 21-year-old revealed his torment as the Whites slipped into the Championship.

“It was disappointing to never get a chance to play a game in the Premier League,” he said. “I was waiting every day to get clearance from FIFA to play. Guys like Chris Eagles and Nigel Reo-Coker kept asking if it was through yet and all I could tell them was ‘no’. It was frustrating.

“It would have been hard to get a game when you think of the players in the team. Maybe for me, personally, relegation will give me a better chance to get in the team.

“The manager has let a lot of players go so maybe that opens the door for me and gives me the chance to shine. I’m looking forward to having a really good season and trying to get back up.

“The gaffer has great belief in all of us. We need to be strong and produce for him.”

Wylde went into last season with an SPL winner’s medal and a new long-term deal, but when the startling news of Rangers’ meltdown surfaced, he was one of the first to fall on his sword in an effort to save jobs elsewhere.

Wanderers snapped him up for nothing, having bid £450,000 for his services just a few months earlier. It launched Wylde into a bizarre position with just three months of the campaign to go, but the young Glaswegian says he doesn’t regret his decision.

“I didn’t really feel part of the team that got relegated,” he admitted. “I was there every day for the last few months but I couldn’t do anything to influence it one way or another.

“The Stoke game was a really weird day for me.

“Exactly one year before I had been winning the league with Rangers at Kilmarnock.”

“I missed Rangers. The club was a big part of my life and I made good friends there.

“It was tough to see the boys and it’s still pretty sad the whole situation isn’t sorted.

“I don’t regret anything about it, though. It’s been the best move I’ve ever made. Now I just want to get back playing football.”

As if his paperwork issues were not hard enough to digest, Wylde completed his move from Rangers in the same week Fabrice Muamba collapsed in the FA Cup quarter final at Tottenham.

He watched from the sidelines that night but what happened in the aftermath has reinforced his belief that moving to Lancashire was the right choice.

“The day before Fabrice collapsed I was getting my medical in Bolton,” he said. “I got the train to London and stayed in the team hotel before going to White Hart Lane.

“I was really upset by the Fabrice situation even though I didn’t know him too well. I had sat beside him at breakfast that morning before we left for the game.

“The way the club reacted to it just highlighted what a family club Bolton are. It has all meant it was a weird season, full of ups and downs.”