A MOTHER and her toddler son had to evacuate their home after a washing machine was on fire.

Firefighters were called to the house, in Blair Lane, Breightmet at about 5pm this evening (Wednesday) to reports an appliance was on fire in the kitchen.

The woman, understood to be in her 20s, and her young son escaped unhurt after an electrical fault caused the blaze.

Three fire engines were dispatched to the scene and crews quickly had the situation under control.

They were at the scene of the fire for about half an hour.

Crew manager Kev France said the young mother was in some distress when firefighters arrived.

He said: "They were shook up, she was panicking."

But he added that she was 'a lot more calm' after crews dealt with the incident. "We sorted it all out and reinstated the electricity," he said.

Firefighters also gave them mother advice on fire safety and fitted smoke alarms and removed the washing machine from the property.

The house did not sustain any serious smoke damage in the fire, which is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault.