A DISQUALIFIED driver caught on camera swerving past traffic and crashing his car before pulling a child out of the back seat has been jailed.

Ryan Walkden was behind the wheel of a 2003-reg blue MG ZR which overtook traffic in Blackburn Road, Bromley Cross, and jumped a red light before colliding with railings in Darwen Road near Bromley Cross War Memorial.

When he stepped out of the car, he was seen to open the rear driver's side door and lift a toddler into his arms before making off with a woman who had been a passenger.

The erratic driving and crash — at 4.30pm on October 30, 2015 — was captured on the helmet cam of a motorcyclist who later uploaded the footage to YouTube, where it gathered thousands of views and prompted outrage.

PC Dave Charnock, who investigated the incident, said: "The driver, Ryan Walkden, showed a clear disregard for the safety of not only his two passengers, one of whom was a young child, but also many members of the public who were travelling around in rush hour simply going about their daily business.

"Had it not been for the head cam footage of a motorcyclist along with the help of many members of the public who contacted police with the name, Walkden may have never been traced.

"Fortunately the male has been brought to justice and I would like to thank everyone who passed information to the police.

"In almost 20 years as a police officer its still remains some of the most shocking footage I have ever seen and the outcome could have been far more tragic than it was."

Walkden had struck several other vehicles before the collision including one in Egerton Road near Belmont.

The 28-year-old, of Blackbank Street, Astley Bridge, admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and having no insurance at Bolton Magistrates' Court before being committed for sentenced at Bolton Crown Court on December 2.

However Walkden failed to turn up and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He soon handed himself into the police and was brought before the same court for sentencing on December 5.

Walkden was jailed for 20 weeks for dangerous driving and a further eight weeks for driving while disqualified.

He received no separate penalty for having no insurance and was banned from driving for two years with an extended re-test and was ordered to pay court costs.