A CHINESE food menu sparked a fire at a property in Bromley Cross.

Crews from Bolton were called to Turton Heights following reports of smoke coming from a food menu placed on top of a light fixture on Saturday at about 9.30am.

A spokesman for the five service said: “The occupants did the right thing by calling 999 and evacuating.

“We were luckily able to get there while it was still smoking and there was minimal damaged caused to the light.”

Three people were evacuated although there were no injuries.