A TEENAGER was forced to walk home in his socks after muggers punched him in the face and stole his trainers.

Kayne Willett-Howard's attackers made him lie face down on the ground and stole his shoes and a pair of headphones he had been given for Christmas.

The 17-year-old had got off the bus on Leigh Road, Westhoughton, after college on Tuesday and was cutting across the estate to his home in Pinfold Close, Westhoughton

He was walking past Eatock Lodge near to Miry Lane at around 4.45pm when he thought he heard a child’s scream coming from the direction of the lodge.

But when he investigated Kayne could not find anything and decided to continue cutting through the nature reserve to get home a bit faster.

He was then jumped from behind, punched in the side of the face and fell to the ground.

His mother, Helen Willett, told how the three attackers then told him not to look up and to lie face down on the ground.

Something metal, around two or three inches long, was put against the back of his neck.

Mrs Willett said: “He said it was ice cold, they said don’t look up, do not look back.”

They made Kayne give them the headphones out of his bag and then his trainers.

The muggers told him to stay lying face down and to only start walking when he had counted to 20 and not look back.

Mrs Willett said: “He had to walk from Eatock Lodge with no shoes on, covered in mud.”

Meanwhile the worried mum was trying to get hold of her son but could not because his phone was on silent.

And when she finally got through to Kayne’s girlfriend she was horrified to learn he had been mugged.

Kayne arrived home covered in mud and with a swollen cheekbone.

She said: “We’re lucky really. We got him back in one piece.

"It could have been a whole lot worse than that.

“He has got the attitude at the moment that he is not letting these people beat him. He said he is better than that.

“Obviously we are keeping a close eye on him.”

A police officer came took a statement from Kayne about the incident but his family are not hopeful that the muggers will be caught.

Speaking about the incident, Kayne said: “I’m still processing it, I don’t know what to feel.

“I have always felt safe walking home.”

A police spokesman said officers were called at around 5.30pm on Tuesday to reports of a robbery.

Anyone with information should call 101 or anonymously through the Crimestoppers independent charity on 0800 555 111.