A MAN was stabbed repeatedly by his brother after bringing him to England for mental health treatment.

Karzan Aziz lived in Kurdistan but, when his family became worried about him his brother, Peshbin Aziz, decided to bring him to Bolton believing he could get more help.

But Bolton Crown Court heard how, a few days before the attack, Peshbin Aziz and his brother had argued about religion.

Then, just before midday on July 22 last year, Peshbin Aziz left his home in Blackburn Road and was attacked by his 33-year-old brother.

“For no apparent reason he started stabbing him with a small kitchen knife,” said Simon Barrett, prosecuting.

The stabbing continued as Peshbin Aziz tried, and failed, to disarm his attacker.

Bleeding heavily, he then fled towards Back Baythorpe Street and into the flat of a neighbour, who called the emergency services and police arrived.

“The defendant was still at the scene, clearly agitated, and the knife was recovered nearby,” said Mr Barrett.

His brother was taken to hospital and needed stitches for a 3cm cut below his chin and 2cm lacerations to his shoulder and collar bone but has since made a full recovery.

Mr Barrett added that Peshbin Aziz has forgiven his brother and blames himself for the attack because he facilitated him coming to the UK.

“He still supports the defendant and feels some responsibility for the position he is in,” said Mr Barrett.

Mark Friend, defending, told the court that Karzan Aziz had previously been in the UK as an asylum seeker and had been granted indefinite leave to remain, but had returned to Kurdistan sometime after 2012.

But his family encouraged him to come back to the UK for mental health treatment.

Mr Friend said: “It is clear that this is a defendant that has had some difficulties, to say the least, with his mental health.

“The issues which led his family to encourage him to come back to the UK were laudable.”

He added that, when released from prison, Karzan Aziz may return to his homeland.

Karzan Aziz, of Birch Hall Lane, Bolton, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm and possessing a knife in public.

Sentencing him to two years in prison, Judge Timothy Stead told him: “You wounded him [your brother] repeatedly with a knife. There was a great deal of blood but luckily the injuries were not severe.

“I understand that he has forgiven you or, at any rate, he doesn’t hold what happened against you and still wishes to support you. I bear that in mind.”