An IT operations manager whose dangerous driving killed a 25-year-old woman has escaped having his jail term increased.

Glenn Michael Wall, aged 35, of Lawrence Road, Altrincham, was convicted of causing the death of Helena Thurm, aged 25, by dangerous driving. Miss Thurm was the daughter of Alan Thurm, retired lecturer at Bolton Sixth Form College.

Wall was jailed for two years at Manchester Crown Court on January 22.

But the Solicitor General, Robert Buckland QC, argued that he should have been jailed for much longer and referred the case to London's Court of Appeal.

Wall had left work in Rochdale to drive home on June 20 2016, Lord Justice Simon told the court.

His victim, also from Altrincham, had been to Manchester for a job interview.

She was crossing the Manchester Road in Sale when she was hit by Wall's Vauxhall Astra and thrown into the air.

Wall stopped his car and called the emergency services, said the judge.

Miss Thurm suffered a cardiac arrest, numerous skull fractures, internal injuries and a catastrophic brain damage. She died the following day.

Wall claimed she was holding a mobile phone and stepped out in front of his car before he unsuccessfully swerved to avoid her.

It was "particularly upsetting" for her devastated family that Wall 'blamed her for her own death', said the judge.

The loss of Helena has had a "catastrophic" impact on her family, with her parents unable to work as a result of 'depression and anxiety'.

Jonathan Polnay, for the Solicitor General, argued Wall should have got a much tougher punishment.

He pointed to the "inappropriate speed for the prevailing conditions" and "failure to have regard for a vulnerable road user".

Lawyers for Wall argued that the trial judge was 'best placed' to assess him and that he had "powerful" personal mitigation.

Married Wall had no previous convictions or endorsements on his driving licence and had an 'excellent work record'.

He had suffered flashbacks and undergone counselling and therapy, had shown 'genuine remorse' and attempted to assist the victim at the scene.

Lord Justice Simon agreed that the Crown Court judge had "presided over the trial and was in a good position to assess Wall's culpability".

Refusing to increase Wall's jail term, he ruled: "This was not an unduly lenient sentence. We will not interfere."