A SCHOOLBOY was subjected to a terrifying knifepoint robbery in broad daylight.

Three youths demanded Matthew Carter’s mobile phone after surrounding him in Beta Street, just outside Bolton town centre, and threatening to stab him if he did not hand it over.

Two passers-by asked if Matthew, aged 14, was okay, but the robbers told him to say he was all right or they would stab him, said his father, Jason Carter.

The boy was on his way from school to his grandfather’s home in Laurel Court, at about 5.15pm, when the robbery happened.

Mr Carter said the Blackrod and Rivington High School pupil has been left “traumatised” by the incident.

He said: “He is absolutely devastated. I was on my way home from work and my dad rang me up and said he was absolutely traumatised because of what had happened.

“As soon as I got in he ran up to me and wouldn’t let go, that’s how petrified he was.”

Mr Carter adds that Matthew is too scared to go about his usual everyday life following the incident.

He continued: “He doesn’t want to go out on his own any more. He was meant to be getting on a bus yesterday but he asked for a lift. He is asking his mum or me to pick him up or drop him off.

“He used to go shopping for his grandad at Aldi, but he won’t go on his own now.”

Mr Carter says that as well as himself, Matthew’s mother, Nicola Girling, grandfather Alan Carter and 21-year-old brother Marcus have all been deeply affected by the incident.

He said: “As a parent I’m constantly thinking about it, but there’s nothing you can do.

“His mother is as traumatised by it all, he is her little baby boy, she’s really upset. And he dotes on his grandad, he’s 82 years old and he was quite upset by it.

Matthew lives with his mother in Chorley, but spends as much time with his grandfather, Alan as possible.

Mr Carter, who lives in Temple Road, Astley Bridge, is now urging anyone with information, or who may have seen the incident, to come forward.

He said: “We have got three young lads with a knife running around robbing people. It needs stopping."

Police are working to identify the three youths who took Matthew’s mobile phone from him on Tuesday last week.

They are described as being of Asian appearance, aged about 17 or 18, with some facial hair.

They were wearing dark clothing and hoodies.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Bridge said: “We are investigating and following lines of inquiry.

“We would like to appeal for witnesses. Please get in touch with us if you saw anything. We believe it is an isolated incident at this time.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.