A MAN was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a first-floor flat.

Firefighters were called to the address, in Westwood Close, Farnworth at about 6.50pm this evening (Thursday).

They broke into the flat to rescue the man, who is thought to be aged in his 40s.

He was walked to the ambulance and is not believed to be in a serious condition.

Two rooms were badly smoke damaged and had also suffered some fire damage,

Three fire engines were dispatched to tackle the blaze.

The cause of the fire is not yet know. Police are investigating.

Neighbouring properties were not affected.

Crew manager Gareth Peters, from Farnworth Fire Station, has urged people to check their smoke alarms are working properly.

To arrange a free Safe and Well visit from firefighters, call 0800 555 815