FIREFIGHTERS were called out to a house after a grill oven caught fire in the kitchen.

Three fire engines were called to the property in Cheriton Gardens, in Horwich, at about 8.30pm yesterday.

Upon arrival, the fire was already out so firefighters ventilated the property.

A man was inside the house at the time and was seen to at the scene by paramedics who decided he did not require hospital treatment.

The fire did not cause any damage to the house.

Jason Martin, watch manager at Horwich Fire Station, said: "The fire was caused by not removing the oil from the grill pan.

"We always advise people not to let any oil build up in their pan or it can lead to a fire.

"We will be carrying out home safety checks in that area over the next few weeks."