THE road to the Macron Stadium kicked off in the Bolton at Home Sunday League with the first matches in the Open Cup.

The first round through up some fascinating ties with one of the most interesting the game between Division Two side Bolton Town and the top division’s Manny Road.

Bolton Town have lost most of their games, albeit by just the odd goal, so far and it happened again when they went down 3-2 in the cup.

Manny Road took the lead midway through the first half with an excellent finish by Sam Santley.

Then, just before half time. Dillon Hewitt equalised for Bolton Town after some excellent work by John Yates.

Manny Road came out the second half a lot stronger and within 10 minutes they scored two, goals another from Santley and a third from Adrian Patel.

Midway through the second half Bolton Town brought on Ash Burnsey and he did not disappoint his manager as he managed to get on the end of a cross to knock the ball past the Manny Road keeper to make the score 3-2.

With 20 minutes left in the game Bolton Town were looking for the equaliser and they came close through Dee Sheeran but his effort went the wrong side of the post and Manny Road hung on for the victory.

Last season's runners-up, Farnworth United, got their cup campaign off with a 3-0 win against Division Two side Deane FC.

The game was closer the than the scoreline suggests with Farnworth’s goals coming from John Stephenson, Gaz French and Joe Cappy.

Shock of the day came in the match between Division Two side Westhoughton and Division One’s Newbury FC with Westhoughton winning 5-3.

Newbury took the lead through Dominic Sharples, however Westhoughton responded with two quick goals from Ben Howarth and Declan King.

Then, just before half time, Craig Sloane equalised for Newbury.

In the second half Westhoughton took control of the game and within 30 minutes they scored three more times to give them a commanding 5-2 lead, their goals coming from Adam Arkwright (penalty) and Callum May (two).

Newbury netted a third through Sam Bradley but the damage had already been done.

At Harper Green there was a local derby between Farnworth sides Dehaviland and Wellington FC, with Division One side Dehaviland proving to strong for Division Two’s Wellington as they won 4-1.

Dehaviland’s goals came from Daniel Kerrigan (two), Jamie Crompton and Glen Mathews.

Top Club FC got their cup bid off to an excellent start as they beat lowly Bolton Rangers 14-0.

Stars for Top Club were Adam Doyle, who scored four, and Steve Binns, who netted a hat-trick.

The last match saw an all-Division Two affair between Barr Hill and Heaton Casuals, which Barr Hill won 5-1.

Barr Hill's goals came from Tom Smith Makin (three), Dave Vanden and Cale Byers.