HORWICH Ladies' first team remain top of Manchester League Division Two following a resounding 4-0 victory at City of Manchester second team.

The local side went ahead on six minutes when Heather Glynn found the angle to beat the keeper.

Horwich's defence was again immense as they halted all attacks and Donna Vinten doubled their lead just before half time, Glynn with the assist.

Player-of-the-day Jeanette Brew, who took the eye with some dazzling runs down the right wing, combined with Vinten for the latter to score the third before she completed her hat-trick with a cool finish.

Horwich ladies' second team are also top of the league after a 4-1 win at Manchester Moss Park third team saw them climb to the summit of Division Four.

Despite enjoying the majority of the possession in the first half Horwich went in 1-0 behind at half time.

They stepped up a gear after the interval and Lara King's equaliser gave them the confidence they needed to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

King double her and her team's tally before Zara Kour made it 3-1, and Rosie Swarbrick completed the scoring late on with her first goal of the season.

The men's first team drew 2-2 at home to high-flying Liverpool University.

The home side set out in a new formation hoping to stop the attacking flair of the visitors and hit them on the counter attack.

The Uni side capitalised on their early pressure to take a third-minute lead.

Horwich gradually got to grips with their new formation and began to push the opposition back and have attempts at goal.

They equalised early in the second half when a pinpoint pass from Paul Buckland found Mathew Kirk who rounded the Liverpool keeper and calmly slotted the ball in the back of the net.

And Horwich were ahead a minute later when Tim Hayward fired home a well-rehearsed short corner.

The Uni side began to press high looking for the equaliser but the home team was more than a match, playing with confidence and discipline to thwart a series of attacks until the visitors won a disputed short corner that resulted in them earning a share of the spoils with a fine strike.

Horwich men’s second team went down 3-2 at Fylde men’s fourth team.

Despite interceptions from Will Aitken and Nathan Bolton in defence and great saves from Kilshaw in goal, the home side went 2-0 up. Tony Sanderson pulled one back on the stroke of half time, with a beautiful solo run, taking the ball past the keeper and scoring on the reverse side.

Horwich were the better side in the second half with Bolton and Biswas solid in the middle of defence and David Whiteside a threat on the attack.

They pressurised the home side, only to be thwarted by a goalline clearance and some slightly wayward finishing.

Fylde grabbed a third goal before Bolton scored Horwich’s second from a short corner.