WANDERERS booked themselves a place in the next round of the FA Youth Cup with an impressive 2-1 victory against Newcastle United.

Matthew Argent-Barnes and Eddie Brown scored the goals for Nicky Spooner and Gavin McCann’s side, who impressed on their first outing at the main stadium.

Newcastle – a category one academy - peppered Callum James’s goal early on, the Bolton keeper making decent saves from Jude Swailes’ header and a low effort from Thomas Cole.

Wanderers sprung into life 20 minutes in when captain Luca Connell worked some space on the left wing and crossed for Eddie Brown, who could only divert a header over the top of the Newcastle goal.

The young Whites pressed high and started to take control of the game, grabbing a deserved lead when a blocked shot fell nicely for Argent-Barnes to slot his shot past Daniel Langley.

A second looked on the cards and nearly arrived when Ronan Darcy raced through on the left and hammered a shot against the inside of the post.

Kain Reed’s header was pushed away by James just before half time to remind Bolton they were still in a game – but Bolton were worth their lead and continued in a positive vein after the break when Callum King-Harnes delivered a fine ball from the right for Eddie Brown, his downward header blocked by a sprawling Langley.

Wanderers didn’t have to wait long for a second, though, and though Darcy rattled the crossbar it was Brown who reacted ahead of the Newcastle defenders to nod the ball over the line.

No sooner had Bolton wasted a chance on the break, sub Tie Ebanks firing over when his side had a numerical advantage, Newcastle had their best chance of the game. Cole was played through the middle but James managed to get enough on his shot to push it on to the frame of the goal, and out to safety.

A third goal would have put the game to bed. Connell brought another save out of Langley at the other end with a stinging low shot but a few minutes later Newcastle managed to get themselves back into it via rather controversial circumstances.

After the Magpies were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the Bolton box, Jack Young drove his shot into the wall. Referee Nik Storey judged, however, that one of the players had encroached and ordered it to be taken again. This time, Young drove into the bottom corner to give the visitors some hope.

Cole had one shot deflected narrowly wide but the visitors must have wondered if fate was conspiring against them when Jude Swailes’ header was somehow scrambled off the line – Newcastle’s players appealing to the referee that it had crossed the whitewash.

The young Whites worked hard defensively to ensure there was no late drama and could have grabbed a third when Brown’s late strike was deflected wide.