WANDERERS' Josh Magennis made a late cameo in Northern Ireland’s 2-0 victory over Estonia in their opening Euro 2020 qualifier against Estonia last night.

The striker came on for the last 10 minutes to earn his 41st cap at Windsor Park as Michael O'Neil's side made a convincing start to the campaign with goals from Niall McGinn and Steven Davis.

With Germany and the Netherlands for company in the group and only two places up for grabs, a winning start was a must.

And after a frustrating first half, Northern Ireland gradually gained control to give themselves some momentum going into their next Group C game in Belfast on Sunday against Belarus.

It was the home side who had the first shot of the game inside the first minute as McGinn was allowed to get a shot in at the back-post.

Stuart Dallas then played in Paddy McNair, but his cross-cum-shot was well held by Sergei Lepmets in the Estonian goal.

McNair then should have given O’Neill’s side the lead when Jordan Jones broke away and his perfect cross picked out the Middlesbrough man in the middle, but he headed the ball into the ground from four yards out before it bounced over the crossbar.

On the half hour mark the home side had a penalty appeal turned down as Jamal Lewis raced into the box before being barged down by Mattias Kait but referee Ivan Bebek waved away the protests from the Norwich City full-back.

A minute later it was Craig Catchcart’s turn to warm the hands of Lepmets as he met a McNair corner but could only direct his header straight at the visiting goalkeeper.

Jordan Jones was lively and just before half time he came close to breaking the deadlock as Dallas saw his throw in flicked on for the winger at the back-post, but his low effort sailed inches wide of the target.

On the stroke of half-time it was the dominant Green and White army who had yet another opening as McGinn floated in a cross to the back-post, but the ball had too much wait on it before drifting wide of the upright.

Northern Ireland then had the dream start to the second half as on 56 minutes Kyle Lafferty held the Estonia challenges off before playing the ball back to McGinn before the Aberdeen man finished beautifully into the net leaving Lepmets standing.

McNair nearly doubled the lead but the former Manchester United and Sunderland man nodded over Jones's cross.

Estonia then created their first real talking point of the game as Henri Anier was played in one on one, but he was denied by a super save from Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

However, on 73 minutes O’Neills men won themselves a penalty as George Saville was taken down by Estonia skipper Karol Mets before Davis drilled the penalty low into the net to double the home side's advantage.

Magennis then was presented with a magnificent chance to make it three soon after his arrival on the pitch. Played in by Davis, his powerful effort was directed straight at Sergei Lepmets.

Magennis then linked up with Davis before the midfielder pulled the ball back to the onrushing Dallas, but his low strike was well blocked by Artjom Dmitrijev.