AS Wanderers faced the prospect of an all-out strike last night, it emerged that Pawel Olkoswki has become the first player to officially hand in his notice and signal his intent to quit over pay problems.

The Poland international full-back is understood to have told the club on Thursday that he wished to leave after growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of information given to the squad and coaching staff.

Players have now gone nearly four weeks without pay and are unsure whether they will be paid April’s salary, which is due on Tuesday.

Olkowski joined Bolton on a free transfer last summer from FC Koln, turning down other offers from Germany and Italy.

He made an encouraging start to life in England and earned a recall to the national team squad after an absence of three years.

Recently, Phil Parkinson admitted the defender had suffered more than most players in the squad during the club’s financial struggles with the language barrier also making it difficult to pass on information.

Olkowski is the first known player to have exercised his right to give Wanderers a 14-day notice period on his contract. He has one year remaining on the deal he signed last summer, which would be then be cancelled if he is not paid within the fortnight.

A source close to the player told us yesterday: “He is happy to wait and is understanding of the club’s problems. It’s just that there is no information what the plan is, and no credible information about when people will be paid.

“He doesn’t even know who the owner is that the moment.

“He doesn’t regret coming (to Bolton) and is not feeling sorry for himself.”

Wanderers confirmed last night that today's game against Brentford would not go ahead, with the EFL also issuing a statement.

"Following the failure of Bolton Wanderers to provide formal confirmation of its ability to meet its obligation to fulfil its Championship fixture against Brentford FC on Saturday (April 27), the game will not go ahead as planned.

"Earlier on Friday, the playing staff at the club issued a collective statement confirming that they had decided not to fulfil the remaining fixtures of the season unless they received monies owed to them.

"As a result of these disappointing developments, the League has been forced to suspend Saturday’s fixture and under EFL Regulations, the club is now deemed to be guilty of misconduct and will be referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission.

"The EFL Board will now consider the matter of determining whether the fixture will be played or not.

"No further comment will be made at this time."