CONCERN is mounting for the future of Bolton Wanderers after a dramatic day of ownership tussles and unwanted firsts.

After Wanderers had officially announced it had severed ties with Laurence Bassini, the 49-year-old businessman hit back yesterday by claiming that he – and not Ken Anderson – was in control of the club.

It is understood that the EFL has not received satisfactory evidence of Bassini’s proof of funds or business plan to enable him to take control.

The Sale and Purchase agreement he signed in mid-April was contingent on league approval but also prevents Anderson from selling to a third party or placing the business into administration.

The impasse leaves Bolton rudderless over the Bank Holiday weekend with just 24 hours to organise either a sale to Bassini, or for the trustees of former owner Eddie Davies to place the business into administration, before a High Court hearing on Wednesday.

It also raises the prospect that more creditors could ‘piggy-back’ the winding-up order, which could lead to liquidation in the worst-case scenario.

Bassini has said he will be in the directors' box at Nottingham Forest today to see Bolton play their last game of the campaign.

Wanderers also had confirmation from the EFL that the game against Brentford will not be played and that their opponents have been handed a walkover 1-0 victory.

A disciplinary panel will meet after the end of the season to decide what punishment will be handed out to Bolton following the postponement of the original fixture because of players’ strike action.

It is the first fixture in EFL history cancelled in such a fashion and is likely to land Wanderers with a points deduction next season which could be placed upon the 12-point penalty accompanying a potential insolvency event.

Some reports yesterday predicted another EIGHT points could be added to those deducted for administration, meaning Wanderers could be starting life in League One with minus 20.

The Safety Action Group met yesterday morning and issued a prohibition order at the University of Bolton Stadium under the Safety of Sports Act 1975.

The order will also mean this year’s Hospital Cup final between Walshaw and Hindsford has been postponed.