HORWICH Hockey Club’s ladies first team went down 3-0 at leaders City of Manchester in the Greater Manchester League Division One on Saturday.

Despite battling hard throughout the match, COM still managed to score two goals early in the first half.

The Manchester side then went on to add a third goal before half-time with an unfortunate deflection leaving Horwich 3-0 down at the interval.

Horwich regrouped and came back stronger in the second half and despite COM chances, managed to keep a clean sheet.

At the other end, Horwich’s Heather Glynn and Jeanette Elston-Brew on the left wing created some chances but they came to nothing.

The visitors battled on ensuring the damage to their goal difference was kept to a minimum with the result leaving them second-bottom in the table.

Horwich’s men’s first team also suffered defeat on the same day, losing 5-3 at home to St Helens in Division Two North of the North West Hockey League.

After going behind to an early goal, Horwich produced some impressive work in the midfield, with great driving runs from David Whiteside which led to an assist for Tony Sanderson who brought them back into the game.

St Helens once again converted from a quick deflection off a short corner allowing them to regain the lead for a second time.

Yet Horwich fought back with a twisting run from Sanderson allowing Mo Rashid to scramble a goal from close range.

Last-ditch defending and a brilliant goal-line clearance by captain Andrew Barr kept Horwich in the game, in a desperate attempt to stop St Helens’ goal tally increasing.

Overall, the game was dominated by numerous penalty strokes and despite hard work from Horwich, St Helens ran out winners.

Horwich ladies’ second team were well beaten 8-0 at high-flying Rochdale in Division Three of the Greater Manchester Hockey League.

The game saw some fine saves from Shannon Leeson and some resolute defending, which in turn prevented the scoreline from escalating further.

Horwich battled well with some positive moves forward from Zara Kour and Mandy Dunn, who was player of the day, which put the Rochdale net under pressure.

They couldn’t find a breakthrough however on a tough day at the office.

There was success for Horwich men’s seconds who played their best hockey of the season to pick up two wins in Division Four North South of the North West Hockey League.

Saturday’s away game saw them defeat St Helens’ seconds 1-0 in a game that could have ended with a much more convincing victory.

Ryan Goodman played his first game out of goal and almost created a goal for the Horwich side himself.

Andy Robertson and Rob Brewer linked with the forward players for a chance, yet the only goal of the entire game came from a short corner struck well by Will Aitken and Brewer deflected in at the far post.

Sunday’s home match saw the Horwich side defeat local rivals Bolton thirds 2-0.

Horwich took the game to the visitors from the off, Arundam Biswas seeing his well-struck effort deflected through the keeper’s legs by Tony Sanderson, giving Horwich the crucial first goal.

They continued to dominate, with Rashid involved in a move that allowed Sanderson to score his second.