TWO Premier Division title contenders had contrasting fortunes at the weekend, with Old Boltonians extending their lead at the top of one league and Tempest United losing ground in another.

The day’s local derby saw Tempest lose ground on West Lancashire League pace-setters Fulwood Amateurs as they were defeated 2-0 at neighbours Turton.

The loss, coupled with Fulwood’s 3-1 victory at Coppull United, leaves Tempest five points behind the leaders, though they do have a game in hand.

Tempest played all but the first 10 minutes with 10 men but in dreadful conditions, it took until the 72nd minute for the opening goal, when Dylan Winstanley struck to put the Tigers ahead.

Simon Whaley sealed victory with Turton’s second goal four minutes later, for three points that put them in eighth place in the Premier Division table, though they have up to six games in hand on sides above them.

Tempest are still on course for a highly successful season, however, and they turn their attention to the Lancashire Amateur Shield this evening.

On course for their first win in the competition, they take on St Helens at Padiham FC with a place in the final to face Euxton Villa or Lostock St Gerards at stake.

Lancashire Amateur League Premier Division leaders Old Bolts played out a goalless draw at home to Mostonians and, though they were unable to muster a goal, the point gained stretched their advantage over nearest challengers Failsworth to five points, with the Dynamos suffering a surprise 2-1 defeat at Burnley Belvedere.

Blackrod Town climbed three places to fourth in the LAL Division One after their 1-0 win at Rossendale.

CMB also tasted victory in the top division of the West Lancashire League as they returned home with three points following a 4-2 victory at Hurst Green.

Dan Crook scored CMB’s opener on 17 minutes and Tom Healey doubled the lead just after the hour mark. After Hurst Green pulled a goal back CMB made sure of the points with further goals from Liam Carr and Cameron Lewarne, making the hosts’ second goal on 93 minutes academic.

In the First Division, Horwich St Mary’s Victoria got back to winning ways with a 2-1 victory over visitors Crooklands Casuals, Josh McLaren and Matt Davies scoring, but Stoneclough missed out on a chance to close the gap to leaders Lostock St Gerards – who were in cup action – as they were beaten 3-2 at home to Hesketh Bank.

The only local side in action in the Manchester League were Bolton Lads and Girls Club, who took a point from their game at Tintwistle Athletic, Zac Stringer netting in a 1-1 draw. Atherton Town were knocked off top spot in the table as their game at Wilmslow Albion was postponed, Elton Vale taking the opportunity to climb above them by beating Middleton Colts.

In the North West Counties League First Division North, Daisy Hill lost 3-1 in horrendous conditions at New Sirs, Holker Old Boys taking a 3-1 victory with all three of their goals coming before the break. Tyler Rufus scored for the hosts in the final minute of the game but there was no time to make it anything more than a consolation.

“In windy conditions on a testing pitch it wasn’t going to be pretty,” Daisies manager Brian Hart told the league.

“Holker adjusted quickly and used the ball better and deserved their half-time lead.

“Although we had more possession in the second half and got a consolation they managed the game well.

“Their experience won over our inexperience today. Hopefully, our youngsters will learn from it.”