BOLTON Hockey Club’s women’s first team kept up their promotion push despite a goalless draw at home against Crewe Vagrants on Saturday.

The hosts attacked the visitors’ goal in the opening seconds.

A swift attack by Chrystal Swaries and Emma Swinnerton saw the ball make its way to Lu Bull but luck was not on Bolton’s side as the effort went wide of the target. 

Within the next 15 minutes Bolton’s attack never wavered with runs from Chloe Frost down the wing entering the D but the high-fliers still could not find the back of the net. 

Bull was denied time and again as Bolton continued to be frustrated and a break would not come their way.

At the other end a Crewe attack was dealt with by captain Laura Watson and soon the promotion-chasers were on the attack again.

But Bolton just could not find a way through despite pushing until the final few seconds and the final whistle blew as the game ended 0-0.

They remain second in North Hockey League Division Three South West and on course for promotion, leaders Didsbury Grey Ladies seven points clear at the summit.

The seconds produced a dominant display in the Greater Manchester League Division Two to see off University of Manchester.

The final 1-0 scoreline didn’t really reflect the control that the Bolton midfield of Debbie Nicholson, Nicki Ashurst, Tash Johnson, Lucy Pickles and player of the match Jess Flegg had on the game.

The defence was well marshalled by Jude Gough, playing out of her familiar position, with Becky Denton, Amy Clarke and Maisie Slater quick to snuff out any opposition counter attacks.

On the odd occasion Manchester got into the D, Meghan Hayes was secure in her work. 

The attacking three of captain Viv Lake, Angelie Chitre and Emily Hawkrigg made countless clear chances but were unable to add to the single first-half goal sent in by Lake due to an outstanding display of goalkeeping from the Manchester keeper.

Elswhere, Bolton Beavers B managed back-to-back 4-0 victories to stretch their winning run to three games.

Despite not being at their best on Saturday at Lymm. the visitors were too strong for their hosts.

It is now only two goals conceded in the last seven matches, scoring 17 in the process.

Bolton Hockey Club’s men’s first team proved too good for City of Manchester’s seconds.

A patient performance produced a 3-1 victory and leaves them in touch with leaders Wigan in the North West Hockey League Division One North table with three games to go.

The victory started with a nice piece of team play as the ball was well worked up the line before some fine forward play saw the keeper rounded and George Brennan converting into an empty net.

The game stayed tight, even though  Manchester’s half-court approach at first made it tough for Bolton to get into their stride.

Sure enough the equaliser came through an upgraded short corner.

Bolton asserted their dominance in the second period though and were able to complete a hard-earned victory with two goals from Rob Lord.

The first came after a sweeping team move with the second seeing some excellent individual play completed by a nice drag flick over the Manchester keeper.

The men’s second team battled bravely but went down 4-0 at Division Three North high-fliers Wigton.

Making the trip with just 11 fit players they found it tough going with large parts of the game played in the Bolton half.

The visitors defended resolutely in the main though and did their best to keep shots on goal to a minimum.

The first Wigton short corner was defended well but inevitably the pressure yielded another after 20 minutes and the drag flick found the target to put the home side in front.

Bolton then had a couple of forays into the Wigton D but were unable to capitalise with the score 1-0 at the interval.

That gave the visitors something to build on but after a couple of mistakes gave away cheap possession, two quick-fire goals took the score out to 3-0.

Bolton rallied again and worked hard to try and put a bit of pressure on the hosts, finally winning a short corner which they were unable to convert.

Ellis Atwell made a couple of great saves but a quick counter-attack saw Wigton complete victory with a fourth goal. 

In Division Four North South Bolton’s third team got the better of a 10-goal game against their Urmston counterparts, winning 6-4.

Bolton fell behind against the run of play early in the first half before Dip Banerjee got them off and running.

The home side’s domination began to tell as they took a 3-1 lead into half time in a game with multiple penalty corners.

The second half saw Stuart Wallace complete his hat-trick and Bolton kept the scoreboard ticking over with further scores by Peter Cole and Sam Williams.

They are fifth in the table.