WE trawled the archives for some of the weird and wonderful Wanderers stories on this day in history.

The Bolton News:

ON THIS DAY – March 19, 1951

BOLTON Wanderers Football Club unsuccessfully applied to Bolton County Court for possession of 205 Manchester Road, which the club wanted to demolish to make for an additional exit from Burnden Park.

Applying for possession, Mr J Dearden said the house belonged to the club and adjoined the Burnden Park ground. The house was left to the defendant’s father, who died in November 1943, and had been occupied by his sister, whose name was on the rent book.

Judge A Walmsley ruled that the sister could continue to live at the property, much to Mr Dearden’s chagrin!

The Bolton News:

ON THIS DAY – March 19, 1963

BOLTON prepared to meet in-form Wolves at Molineux, they had to do so with the youngest forward line they had ever used, With an aggregate age of 91, the attack would be comprised of 18-year-old Gordon Taylor, who had been professional for just a year, Francis Lee 18, Wyn Davies 20, Brian Brian Bromley 16 (pictured) and Dennis Butler 18.

Wolves would also boast Boltonian Terry Wharton, who would of course rock up back in his home town some five years later for a record £70,000.

Wharton had just scored a hat-trick against local rivals West Brom and was one of three local wingers on the pitch – Lee (Westhoughton) and Butler (Atherton) making up the trio.

The Bolton News:

FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 19. 1971

BOLTON Wanderers’ board of directors met at Burnden Park last night and I understand that the chief item on the agenda was the serious position the club is in, writes Frank Booth.

For apart from the perilous league position – next to the bottom of the Second Division – there is still that financial worry.

Sales of players such as Terry Wharton to Crystal Palace for £12,000 and Gordon Taylor to Birmingham for £18,000 have stemmed the adverse financial tide, for now.

And First Division sides are knocking on the door in attempts to buy the youngsters, with Paul Fletcher (pictured) ‘top of the list’.

The Bolton News: Warwick Rimmer is shaken by the hand by Wanderers boss Jimmy Armfield after promotion in 1973.

ON THIS DAY – March 19, 1973

WANDERERS played fair by their fans and promised not to add the new Value Added Tax to the price of their tickets at Burnden Park.

If VAT were imposed it would have cost the spectators an extra 10 pence for stand seats or five pence for the terraces.

Bolton became the first club to say they would not add VAT to their tickets, which they said would come at a cost of £3,000.

“We feel our supporters have been so loyal this season that this is one way we can show our appreciation,” said manager Jimmy Armfield (pictured with Warwick Rimmer), on behalf of the board.

The Bolton News: MICHAEL RICKETTS: Rock Hard Q10

FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 19, 2002

WANDERERS striker Michael Ricketts has made a thinly veiled attack on manager Sam Allardyce as his goal drought continued in the disastrous home defeat at the hands of Derby County on Saturday.

Ricketts has not scored a goal for nine games, his last effort coming against Stockport County in the FA Cup, while his most recent Premiership goal was against Chelsea on January 12.

"As a striker you live or die by your goals," Ricketts told the specialist website www.onefootball.com. "If you're not scoring, confidence definitely comes into it.

"That's when your manager and team-mates should be helping you out. I think my team-mates are, let's just leave it at that."

Ricketts became the first Wanderers player for 38 years to be capped by England as a reward for his powerful Premiership goal-scoring efforts.

But goals have proved harder to come by recently as Wanderers have struggled and Allardyce has questioned his right to be first choice by relegating him to the subs bench in recent matches.

The Bolton News:

ON THIS DAY March 19, 2011

WANDERERS lost late on at Manchester United but the real concern was over midfielder Stuart Holden, who was stretchered off in the second half after a horrific clash with Jonny Evans.

Evans was issued a red card for the tackle, which left Holden needing 26 stitches in his knee, but the club kept under wraps the true extent of the injury – which would keep him out of action for several months.

"First and foremost our main concern is for Stuart and his recovery. He will get all the time and support that he needs,” said manager Owen Coyle.

"Stuart has been outstanding for me this season and he has shown in his performances that he is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League. He has such desire, strength of character and a winning mentality, and he will draw on all those attributes in his rehabilitation."