WE delved into the archives to find out what was going on at Wanderers on this day in the years gone by.

The Bolton News:

FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 25, 2010

WANDERERS had picked up three red cards during the course of the month but as Wanderers prepared to face Manchester United at Old Trafford, Kevin Davies bit back at suggestion the club were ‘bully boys’.

Tamir Cohen, Gretar Steinsson and Sam Ricketts had all had their problems with officials but captain, Davies, stood up to the suggestion in the national media that Wanderers would be overly-physical against United.

“We have had the red cards but we’ve got an honest bunch of lads and no one would go out to hurt someone intentionally,” he said. “They have been soft sendings-off and I think our disciplinary record has been pretty good this season.

“We will look to give it a good go against United but we are not an over-physical side any more.”


FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 25, 1994

BRUCE Rioch pulled off a surprise deadline day move to sign the striker who had been tipped to follow in the footsteps of John Aldridge.

Gary Martindale, who had played in a North West Counties League final for Burscough just a few nights earlier and then scored for Bolton in a reserve game, joined Wanderers for a nominal fee.

Burscough secretary Stan Strickland said: “It’s going to be a big step up for him but he’s one of those players you’d expect to make a go of it.

“It’s good news for ourselves and we wouldn’t have dreamed of standing in his way.”


FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 25, 1991

WANDERERS made a bold approach to sign Bury captain and inspirational leader Tony Cunningham.

The move came after Cunningham had captained the Shakers to a 3-1 home victory over promotion rivals Cambridge to put themselves within three points of Bolton.

Bury, deep in financial trouble and under pressure to sell before the transfer deadline in three days, were already looking to cash in on striker John McGinlay, who was wanted by Millwall.

But Phil Neal said the 33-year-old striker was one of a few deals he was working on to strengthen his squad.

“It is one of three ventures we are pursuing in order to get someone in before the deadline,” he said.

One man who wasn’t coming to Bolton, however, was midfielder Ian Bogie. His club Preston North End wanted £225,000 for his services and so Neal said his interest had “cooled.”


FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 25, 1975

IAN Greaves announced that Wanderers were extending their network of scouts as they step up the youth policy that had produced seven of their team in the Second Division.

Barry Siddall, John Ritson, Paul Jones, Sam Allardyce, Stuart Lee, Peter Reid and Roy Greaves all graduated through the club’s junior sides.

And manager Greaves, who described the work already being done by youth organiser George Taylor as “first class” intended to build from there.

Among his new signings were former Rangers player Dave Kinnear, who covered the Scottish scene for Bolton, and in South Yorkshire he appointed Ron Hazlehurst, who had been responsible for bringing several youth players to Huddersfield Town.

“This business is competitive now,” remarked Greaves. “None of these appointments are hit and miss. If you don’t go about t professionally you will miss out.”


FROM THE BOLTON NEWS – March 25, 1965

BOLTON Wanderers manager Bill Ridding welcomed Football League plans to introduce bonus points for goals in the 1965-66 season.

It would come too late to affect Wanderers’ bid to bounce back into the First Division but, as Ridding pointed out, had it been in operation in the current season, the Whites would have qualified for 18 bonus points, which would have put them second in the table instead of fourth, and hot favourites for promotion.

Ridding was not a fan of another proposal to introduce substitutes but he came out very much in favour of the bonus points plan that was designed to combat the rising tide of negative tactics and had been placed on the agenda for the League Management Committee’s summer summit.

“A goals bonus could kill negative, defensive play and stimulate more public interest,” the Wanderers boss said.


ON THIS DAY – March 25, 1957

MANCHESTER United were expected to win comfortably when they hosted Bolton Wanderers for their first-ever game under the floodlights at Old Trafford.

The Monday night match was watched by 60,862 people but did not go according to the script as mid-table Wanderers raced into the lead through Ray Parry and then doubled their advantage just after half time when Bill Foulkes put through his own goal.

That completed a double against the Reds that season – Doug Holden and Terry Allcock having scored in a 2-0 win at Burnden the previous November.