WE delved into the archives to find out what was going on at Bolton Wanderers on this day in history.

2006: SAM Allardyce believed Wanderers would find it difficult to find a cost-effective striker after missing out on England’s Andy Johnson.

Despite tabling a record-breaking £8million to Crystal Palace for the 25-year-old, matching Wigan Athletic’s earlier bid, Everton swooped to land their man for £8.6m in the end.

Allardyce was desperate to find a natural goal-getter and met up with the player’s agent Leon Angel at the last possible moment in an effort to swing the deal his way.

After being left empty-handed, he feared it could be difficult to find a replacement.

"Having started negotiations over four weeks ago, I was disappointed to miss out," the Wanderers boss said. "Initially we were the frontrunner for Andy's signature and then Everton came in at the death to sign him.

"Andy was always determined to sign for Everton and it is a great shame we missed out. He would have cured 60 per cent of our problems, which is converting the chances we create.

"He could have easily made us into a top six team with his goals."

History has since shown that Allardyce was able to find another target a couple of months later in the form of Frenchman, Nicolas Anelka.

1994: Wanderers turned down an offer for Plymouth Argyle for Mark Winstanley.

Bruce Rioch told Peter Shilton he was not prepared to let the experienced defender leave Burnden Park without first trying to tie him down to a new contract.

"I'm in no hurry to lose him," said the Bolton boss. "I told Mark that Peter Shilton had enquired about him and his situation. He made an offer which I have rejected totally.

"I have spoken to Mark about his contract, which he turned down, and we'll continue negotiations.

"Further meetings are planned."

A new contract was announced at Bolton on June 2, however, with Andy Mason rewarded for his goals in Steve Carroll's reserve team.

1993: Mark Seagraves signed a new two-year deal with Wanderers, becoming the eighth player to secure their future since the club sealed promotion.

The centre-half, who was recovering from a groin operation, put pen to paper after Alan Stubbs, Keith Branagan, Phil Brown, Darren Oliver, Andy Roscoe, Nicky Spooner and Neil Fisher had done the same.

Rioch also signed the three-year agreement he was offered after succeeding Phil Neal the previous summer.

1974: Bolton football referee Bob Mattewson reached the top of his profession when he was promoted to England’s international panel.

Matthewson, who lived in Broomfield Close, Ainsworth, had been on the junior list but was promoted after the retirement of Jack Taylor, of Wolverhampton.

1945: Wanderers visited Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea in the North v South Cup Winner's Trophy - the proceeds of the game going to the King George Fun for sailors. George Hunt and Lol Hamlett scored the goals for Bolton, who came from a goal down to win the game 2-1.

Instead of medals, the players were rewarded with savings certificates.

1923: Following their FA Cup victory against West Ham at Wembley, Wanderers embarked on a tour of Switzerland. They played seven games, winning six and drawing once, rattling six past Mullhouse.