SAM Vokes’s header floored a patched-up Wanderers at Adams Park as the problems continue to pile up for Ian Evatt’s men.

Former Wolves striker Vokes turned in Jason McCarthy’s cross midway through the second half to edge a tense affair between two sides who had been struggling for form.

Bolton were already without Josh Sheehan, Eoin Doyle and Amadou Bakayoko prior to kick off – but then lost MJ Williams 10 minutes into the second half to what looked like a shoulder injury.

Not long after that the Chairboys snatched the only goal of the game to register only their second win in nine games, across all competitions.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side edged what was a scrappy start to the game, with ex-Palace winger Sulley KaiKai blasting over the bar from close in and Anis Mehmeti testing Dixon with another effort from the edge of the box after David Wheeler’s initial effort had been charged down.

Wanderers started to gain a foothold, however, and after Ricardo Almeida Santos glanced Lloyd Isgrove’s free kick over the bar, Dapo Afolayan raced on to a long pass from the back by Dixon and had a decent effort blocked by Anthony Stewart.

Once again, Afolayan was the man looking to make things happen, and it was his direct running to beat three defenders 22 minutes in which carved out a shooting chance for Kieran Lee – but once again the home side got bodies in the way.

Just as Bolton looked to have gathered their composure, Wycombe piled forward again and in a frantic 60 seconds, Sam Vokes had a shot which bounced off the post, and Will Aimson was adjudged to have tripped Mehmeti by ref James Oldham, who pointed to the spot without hesitation.

For the second successive week, Wycombe wasted a penalty as Mehmeti’s effort was blocked low down to his left by Dixon, much to the delight of the 1,078 travelling supporters behind the goal.

Vokes went close again a few moments later as his flicked header from a corner landed on the roof of the net.

But Wanderers reacted well, looking more defensively resolute than they had on Wednesday night at Stockport, and also asking some questions of the home side too. Their best chance of the half arrived when Isgrove chipped away on the edge of the box before squeezing a ball through for Afolayan, who had little time to think before his shot was stifled by the onrushing David Stockdale.

Wycombe continued to look menacing, and after Tafazoli steered one header just over the crossbar, Dixon had to be alert again to stop Mehmeti who had beaten Baptiste for pace and drilled an angled shot towards goal.

On the stroke of half time Elias Kachunga got free for the first time to deliver a low ball into the box – but George Thomason could only touch the ball wide at full stretch as he ran in at the far post.

Afolayan had another effort saved by Stockdale immediately after the restart but just when things appeared to be going Bolton’s way, the injury curse struck again.

Already missing Josh Sheehan and Amadou Bakayoko – both left out of the squad completely – midfield talisman MJ Williams was forced off just before the hour mark having fallen awkwardly. Swapped with George Johnston, he was escorted straight down the tunnel with what looked like shoulder damage.

Almost instantly, Bolton should have taken the lead. Lee threaded a pass through for Kachunga on the right but despite his pace getting him free of the Wycombe defence, he could only steer a shot narrowly wide of the post with just the keeper to beat.

Wycombe brought on their own key man, Garath McCleary, but could not find a way past Dixon. Jordan Obita had a cross-shot pushed away by the Bolton keeper, the rebound dropping to Wheeler who failed to send his effort goalward.

It proved only a temporary respite for the Whites, as a few minutes later McCarthy swung a ball in from the right and Vokes looped a header into the net for his fifth of the season.

The Chairboys nearly doubled their lead with the very next attack as Mehmeti teed up Brandon Hanlan but Dixon spread himself well to block the shot.

Wanderers were struggling to find a response. Dixon touched Tafazoli’s header over the bar and the one-way traffic prompted Evatt to change things from the bench, bringing Xav Amaechi on for Baptiste.

Isgrove had a late effort deflected wide as the fourth official signalled seven minutes of stoppage time.