BOLTON RUFC’s first XV put in a fine display to win 38-14 at Orrell in North Two West.

Both teams put on displays which belied their lowly league positions, though scrums and lineouts were shaded by Bolton throughout.

This provided the backs with the opportunity to demonstrate what they could do with good, quick ball.

The excellent service of half-backs Jack Robinson - forever looking for the quick tap and go - and Ben Price was rewarded with a dazzling display of open, running rugby from the rest of the backline.

The breakthrough came with a first try for Kieran Shacklock with an aggressive run through the middle and a lunge for the line close to the posts. The conversion by Price made it 7-0 to the visitors and another try followed on 15 minutes.

The ball passed through the whole backline to the left leading to a relatively easy try for Simon Steel out wide with the conversion narrowly missed on this occasion.

Four minutes later, a repeat performance saw the ball played out to the right wing for Ryan McClusky to touch down near the touch line and Price’s superb conversion made it 19-0 to Bolton.

The bonus-point try came after 27 minutes after a turnover ball went quickly from Jack Robinson to Will Bate, who committed at least three Orrell defenders before a long pass out to Steel on the left wing to score.

Not to be outdone by the wide men, Shacklock decided not to pass but take on Orrell from the halfway line, bursting through early tackles and leaving everyone for dead to score under the posts and cap a fine half for the visitors to make it 31-0 at half time.

To their credit, Orrell came out for the second half looking like a different team and put the visitors under sustained pressure, resulting in a try from a driving maul with a good conversion from wide.

Bolton responded with almost calm determination and a return to the proven tactic of forwards winning the ball, giving it to the backs to allow Steel to get his third try, with a bit more skill and determination having to be shown by him this time. Another conversion by Price made it 38-7.

Within a couple of minutes, Orrell again demonstrated they were not just there to make up the numbers.

After many phases, their persistence paid off and they scored from forward pressure close to Bolton’s line.

Still only halfway through the second half, that was the end of the scoring but not the excellent rugby.

There was lots of adventurous open play and stalwart defence from both sides.

The backs put on a dazzling display but there were heroes in abundance in the forwards to make that possible.

Bolton return to home turf today to face Cockermouth in the league. Kick off at Avenue Street is 3pm.