Forest Green boss Ian Burchnall has confirmed that summer signing Harry Boyes is back in contention for Saturday’s clash with Wanderers.

The full-back joined on loan from Sheffield United but is yet to make a competitive appearance due to injury.

Boyes began his youth career at Manchester City before heading to Bramall Lane in 2018 and has also had non-league loan spells at Bradford Park Avenue and Solihull Moors.

Defender Baily Cargill is also back in training, while attacker Jamille Matt isn’t far away from a return to action.

Burchnall is delighted to have a couple of options back after a frustrating time with injuries over the past few weeks.

He told the club’s YouTube channel: “It is looking healthier than it was. We have had Harry Boyes in training pretty much the whole week. I think he is in contention for the squad at the weekend.

“Baily Cargill is the same. Jamille Matt has been back out on the pitch and running. He is not ready but has started to make quite quick progress, so maybe a couple of weeks for him.

“We are starting to feel like we are starting to get a little bit more balance in the squad. Some important members back, which is going to be really important for us.”

Burchnall says Boyes has brought energy to the group and believes the youngster could be “like a new signing”.

The manager added: “He is a great lad. He is a pretty social kid and he was straight in the first day of training, talking and communicating.

“He is a confident boy. He came in, we only had him a week and obviously he got injured and went back to Sheffield United.

“It is kind of like a new signing for us really because we haven’t had him at any moment. To get him in, he has brought a bit of energy to the group.”

Forest Green are currently 22nd in the table, having won two of their opening 11 matches since the start of the campaign.

Burchnall's side suffered a 3-2 defeat against Burton in their last outing despite finishing the game with a man advantage after Tom Hamer was sent off. Victor Adeboyejo scored a hat trick for the Brewers including a dramatic winner in the 92nd minute.