A hat-trick from Nelson striker Jude Entwistle sent Daisy Hill tumbling to a 3-0 defeat in their North West Counties League First Division North clash in East Lancashire on Saturday.

Two goals down after 17 minutes, Daisy did create some chances that could have got them a foothold back in the game.

But once Entwistle completed his hat-trick just after the hour mark, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

Daisy manager Lee Hill was in no mood for offering excuses after the game.

“It was probably the worst we have played this season, certainly in terms of work rate and willingness to do that little bit extra off the ball,” said Hill.

“If we had played like we did against Bacup in the previous two games last Saturday and Monday, I’m sure we would have got something out of that game - it would have been a different game altogether.

“Nelson are a good side, I’ve watched them a couple of times this season.

“They are a better side than their league position shows and they outfought us, and won every first ball and second ball.

“We spoke on Thursday at training and we knew the pitch could potentially cut up, which it did, and it would be all about who fancies it and turns up on the day, digging deep and winning the individual battles, but unfortunately we were miles off it.

“Make no mistake, we were pretty awful.

“You can maybe carry one or two who are off the pace, but you can’t carry eight or nine.

“There was a lot of poor decision-making, confidence on the ball wasn’t good, and we may have some tough decisions to make going forward if that carries on.”

Nelson took the lead from the first clear chance of the game on six minutes, when Reece Miller’s strong run down left took him into the penalty area, and his cut-back left Entwistle with the simple task of side-footing the ball past Morgan Newns in the Daisy goal.

Newns was called into action straight from the kick off when Nelson won a free-kick on the edge of the box but the Daisy keeper made a great save from Sam Langford’s shot, and five minutes later made another fine stop with his outstretched leg keeping out a shot from Miller.

But the respite was only temporary, as Nelson doubled their lead in the 17th minute when a long cross from the left found the head of Entwistle, who powered a header into the top corner of the net.

Daisy had barely threatened up to that point, and their best chance of the first half arrived just before the half hour, when Ryan Talbot set up Sam Twist for a shot that flew just wide.

But it was Nelson who continued to dominate and after a great save by Newns denied Charlie Rowlands-Whiteoak, Entwistle came desperately close to completing his hat-trick a minute before the break with a header that hit the post.

It had been a chastening opening 45 minutes for Daisy, but the second half began more promisingly, and Twist came close to reducing the arrears in the 57th minute when he went through on a one-on-one with the Nelson keeper, Jordan Gidley, but was denied by a fine blocking save.

It was a crucial moment in the game as Nelson added a third goal just four minutes later, with Entwistle completing his hat-trick when he picked up a pass on the edge of the box and beat Newns with a shot low into the bottom corner.

Daisy kept going, and after Tom Brown had a shot pushed away for a corner by Gidley, when the kick came in, Talbot headed over.

In stoppage time, Daisy thought they had managed to bag a consolation goal when Dean Singleton headed a cross from Bailey Grant into the net, but the assistant referee flagged for offside to round off a forgettable afternoon for the visitors.

Daisy are back in action tomorrow night when they travel to face Holker Old Boys in the first round of the Macron Challenge Cup.